EAGLE, John E.
Deepwater Township, Henry County
born: Jun 23 1850, Quincy, IL
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:611
John E. Eagle, merchant, and an enterprising business man of this vicinity, is a native of Illinois, and was born in Quincy June 23, 1850. his father, D. A. Eagle, originally from Pennsylvania, died in Paducah, Kentucky, in 1850. His mother, formally Udolpha Miller, was born in Maryland. In 1852, some two years after the death of Mr. Eagle, she was married to J. G. Dorman. John E. moved with his parents to Missouri in 1855, and located in Clinton, Henry County, where Mr. Dorman was engaged in the mercantile business. He spent his youth in his father's store and in attending the public school of Clinton, and also completed a course of study at the Jonathan Jones Commercial College of St. Louis, in 1870. For some time previous to the war he was bookkeeper in his father's store, and during the war he had full charge of that business. He commenced business in Montrose in December, 1875, under the firm name of Dorman & Son. He carries a large and select stock of general merchandise, is a thorough business man, deservedly popular, and is enjoying an immense patronage. Mr. Eagle was married in Montrose January 22, 1879, to Miss Susie Ann Tucker, of this county, and a daughter of D. A. Tucker, of Montrose. They have one child, Ralph A., who was born November 2, 1879. Mr. Eagle is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which order he is Vice Grand.
EDMONDSON, James W.
Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Apr 2 1848, Covington Co, KY
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:556
James W. Edmondson, farmer and thoroughbred live stock breeder of Windsor township, Henry County, was born April 2, 1848, in Covington County, Kentucky. He is the son of Job and Mary (McDonald) Edmondson, to whom fifteen children were born, as follow: James W., subject of this sketch; Cordelia, wife of James Denning, Shawnee County, Oklahoma; Grant, living near Lewis Station, Henry County; Richard, a miner of the Bowen Mines, Windsor, Missouri; Charles, a miner, Windsor, Missouri; Lucretia, wife of Henry Goodrich, Henry County; Andrew, Pittsburg, Kansas. The other seven children of the family are deceased. Job Edmondson was born at Georgetown, Kentucky, January 27, 1826, and died in 1912. He was the youngest and last survivor of eleven children born to his parents. The Edmondson family came to Henry County in 1849 and settled on a farm just across the road from where James W. now resides: A log cabin was the first home of the family and here the large family was reared until 1860. Job Edmondson enlisted for service in Company C, 7th Missouri Cavalry under General Phillips and George Crittendon and served until his discharge on account of sick disability in 1864. He contracted measles and his eyesight became badly affected so that he was practically incapacitated during the remaining years of his life. He died at Calhoun, Missouri. Mrs. Mary Edmondson was born in Covington County, Kentucky, May 22, 1833, and died in 1887, June 22. Job Edmondson and Mary McDonald were married in 1847. James W. Edmondson has lived in the neighborhood of his present farm since he was three years of age and has witnessed the gradual development of this entire country from a sparsely settled region to the splendid agricultural and stock raising country which it now is. He purchased his first land from H. P. Fans in 1882, having previously rented the tract for seven years. Mr. Edmondson is owner of eighty acres of land upon which he has placed practically all of the improvements. On April 2, 1918, he began the breeding of big type Poland China hogs and is specializing in this department of animal husbandry. For the past thirteen years he has been a breeder of Shropshire sheep. February 11, 1875, Mr. Edmondson was united in marriage with Miss Hannah L. Telliss, who was born June 30, 1856, on a farm two miles from Leesville, Missouri. She is the daughter of Jonathan and Telitha (Leonard) Telliss, natives of Indiana, who settled in Henry County in the late fifties. Six children have been born to James W. and Hannah L. Edmondson, as follow: Walter W., United States mail carrier at Windsor, Missouri, a sketch of whom appears in this volume; James, Council Bluffs, Iowa; Mrs. Addie Crogsdale, Kansas City, Missouri; John H., Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Ora Carter, Council Bluffs, Iowa; Leonard W., a soldier in the United States Marines. Mr. Edmondson has always been a stanch Republican. He is affiliated with the Anti Horse Thief Association and is a progressive and enterprising citizen who has the best interest of his home community and county at heart. He is a stockholder of the Peoples Bank of Calhoun, Missouri, and is also a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator Company at Windsor, Missouri.
EDMONDSON, Richard W.
Windsor, Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Mar 23 1876, Windsor Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:577
Richard W. Edmondson, mail carrier for Rural Route No.18, Windsor, Missouri, was born March 23, 1876, in Windsor township. He is the son of James W. Edmondson, concerning whom an extended review is given elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Edmondson was educated in the district school of his home neighborhood and remained on the home farm until April 26, 1898. He then enlisted as a private soldier in Company F, 2nd Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment for service in the Spanish-American War. He received his honorable discharge from the service on March 9, 1899, and returned to the home farm. He was employed at farm labor near Lewis Station until October 9, 1899, and then enlisted in Company, 40th United States Volunteer Infantry Regiment, for service in the Philippines. He saw much active service in the island and was promoted to the post of duty sergeant. For five weeks he was ill with malaria contracted in the Philippines. He received his honorable discharge from the service at the Presidio, California, June 24, 1901. Upon his return home his father told him that he had a position waiting for him and he learned that a rural mail route was being organized out of Windsor which would pay a salary of $500 a year. Postmaster George W. Schweer assisted him in obtaining the appointment. On January 1, 1902, he began his duties as carrier. Mr. Edmondson's salary has since been increased to $1,450. On February 29, 1904, Richard W. Edmondson and Miss Addie Mason were united in marriage. They have one child, Herschel, born January 12, 1905. Mrs. Addie Edmondson was born in Pettis County, Missouri, the daughter of Thomas and Mary C. (Woods) Mason, natives of Illinois, and who were farmers in Benton and Pettis Counties. Mr. Mason is deceased and Mrs. Mason now lives at Vincennes, Indiana, with a daughter. Mr. Edmondson is a stockholder of the First National Bank of Windsor and is interested financially in the Farmers Elevator Company. He is a Republican in politics and is a member and deacon of the Christian Church. He is fraternally affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Rebekahs and the Modern Woodmen of America.
EDMONSTON, William Clay
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Aug 11 1839, McDonough Co, IL
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:513
William Edmonston owes his nativity to McDonough County, Illinois, where he was born August 11, 1839. His father, William Edmonston, was a North Carolinian by birth, and removed to Indiana at an early day, and was also an old settler of Illinois, having gone to that state from Indiana. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Royce, was born in Indiana, and was there reared and married. The former was a member of the Illinois Legislature from McDonough County, from 1830 to 1840. His death occurred in Cooper County, Missouri, October 18, 1871, and his widow died February 22, 1876. In 1845, William C. with his parents emigrated to Reynolds County, Missouri, where he remained till 1853, then moving to Bates County. He lived on a farm there till 1861, and then enlisted in Company D, of Colonel Peyton's Regiment Missouri Cavalry, and served till paroled at Shreveport, Louisiana, June 7, 1865. Returning to Missouri he settled in Clinton, and was engaged in the mercantile business as clerk for two years. He then located at Warrensburg, Missouri, and after six months of business life there, again came to Clinton, for the following six months being book keeper in Salmon & Salmon's Bank. After this time he gave his attention to farming till 1872, when he embarked in the stock and grain trade in Clinton. In this he was interested until elected circuit clerk in 1874, which office he filled most acceptably till 1879, and during 1878-80, he was county assessor of the county. Mr. Edmonston was united in marriage August 17, 1871, with Miss Anna A. Elliston, a Kentuckian by birth. They have three children: Eugene L., Mary E. and Kate.
EDWARDS, Benjamin B.
Osage Township, Henry County
born: Nov 16 1825, Casey Co, KY
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:747
B. B. Edwards owes his nativity to Casey County, Kentucky, where he was born November 16, 1825. His father, Judge William B. Edwards, also of Kentucky birth, grew to manhood in Cumberland County, and was married there to Mariah Bledsoe, of that state. He was one of the prominent farmers of his county, and held several local offices. He was elected and held the office of county judge for a number of years. B. B. moved to Missouri with his parents in 1843 and first located in Johnson County, coming in about two years, or in 1845, to Henry County, where they entered land and improved a farm, and where William B. Edwards died in April, 1866, his wife departing this life a few days later. Our subject passed his youth on a farm, and he enlisted and served eighteen months in the war with Mexico, receiving a land warrant for his services. He was married in Benton County, April 7, 1850, to Miss Minerva A. Hunter, of Illinois, and a daughter of Henry Hunter, one of the early settlers of this township. In the spring of 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Missouri State Militia Cavalry, and when the regiment was organized he was elected second lieutenant, serving as such till discharged, in 1865. He participated in a number of important engagements, among which was the battle of Nashville, Tennessee, and the fight at Jefferson City, Missouri, where nine of his company were killed. After the close of the war he return to this county and engaged in the mercantile business at Leesville, selling goods there for two years. Disposing of his interests in this direction he came to his present farm. This embraces 340 acres of land, upon which is a good, large dwelling and orchard. He makes a specialty of the stock business, and is one of the largest dealers in this township. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards have six children: William H., Coleman C., B. B., Jr., N. G., Emery P. and Fanny F. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church.
EDWARDS, D. N.
Butler Township, St. Clair County
born: 1837, Casey Co, KY
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1181
D. N. EDWARDS, section 3, was born in Casey County, Kentucky, March 10, 1837, being the son of William and Maria (Bledsoe) Edwards. When D. N. was about six years old his father moved to Johnson County Missouri, where the family remained four years. After this they went to Benton County, where our subject was reared and educated. In 1854 he settled in Henry County, and was engaged in farming until 1860, when he came to St. Clair County. His farm contains 400 acres of as good land as there is in the township. In 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Missouri State Militia, and served until the close of the war. Mr. E. is a member of the Christian Church. December 3, 1859, he married Miss Mary Rothgib, a native of Ohio. They have six children: Carrie E., William B., Lewis, Laura E., Elsa and Cora.
Calhoun, Tebo Township, Henry County
born: Aug 23 1856, Monroe Co, NY
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:579
Michael Edwards, a leading merchant of Calhoun, Missouri, is a native of New York, and was born in Monroe County, that State, August 23, 1856. He is the son of Patrick and Ellen (Dowling) Edwards who were parents of twelve children, five of whom are living. Patrick Edwards was born in County Clare, Ireland, January 8, 1820, and died October 27, 1887. He left his native land in 1848, after having followed seafaring life for a number of years, finally settling in New York, where he engaged in railroad work as trainman and was also engaged in railroad construction. In 1867, he located in Franklin County, Missouri, and followed railroading for three years, coming to Henry County in 1870. He became track foreman for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railway at Lewis Station and held this position until his retirement, a short time prior to his death. Mrs. Ellen Edwards was also born in County Clare, Ireland, September 25, 1832, and died in September, 1877. The parents of Michael Edwards were married in New York. Michael Edwards accompanied his parents to Henry County and also worked on the railroad and followed mining for some years. In 1888, he opened a general merchandise store at Calhoun and has become one of the town's most successful and enterprising business men. He was married October 31, 1882, to Miss Ella Minish, born in Calhoun, daughter of Isaac and Priscilla (Linn) Minish, the former located in Calhoun as early as 1856 and followed the trade of watchmaker for several years, also serving as postmaster of the town, dying in this city in 1905. To Michael and Ella Edwards have been born six children: James W., assisting his father in the Edwards store; Patricia, in Washington; Mary E., wife of D. L. Green, Windsor, Missouri; Thomas, formerly assisting his father, now a private in the National Army, attending the Rahe Army School at Kansas City, Missouri; Margaret, wife of W. L. Graham, St. Louis, Missouri; Arthur, at home. Mr. Edwards is a member of the Catholic church, as are several members of his family. He has always been a Democrat and is one of the substantial citizens of Calhoun, who has built up an excellent and flourishing trade by the exercise of honest and dependable methods of doing business.
Appleton Township, St. Clair County
born: 1827, Glarus, Switzerland
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1108
FREDOLIN EGGER, was born June 5, 1827, in canton of Glarus, Switzerland, being the oldest of five children. born to John B. Egger and his wife, formerly Anna Elmer. During the persecution of the followers of Martin Luther in 1530, the Egger family emigrated from Austria to Switzerland, where for many years they occupied a prominent position in the history of that country. Fredolin Egger, grandfather of Fredolin was a leading citizen of the canton of Glarus, one of the first manufacturers of Switzerland, and very prominent in the state until his accidental death in 1817 in the fifty-sixth year of his age. his son, John Balthasar Egger was born June 5, 1794. in the canton of Glarus, where he was a manufacturer of paper. He died in 1870. The maternal grandfather of Fredolin was John Henry Elmer, a well known politician of Switzerland, and at one time ambassador to Sardinia, and representative of his canton in the Swiss Congress. His son, Jacob Elmer also represented the canton of Glarus in council. Fredolin Egger attended the high schools of his Canton until sixteen years old, when he was sent to the university of Lausanne, Switzerland. On leaving college he traveled for one year through France. Returning home he became salesman and traveling agent for his father, and was thus engaged until 1850. In that year he came to America, traveled through the Mississippi valley, and located in the Swiss colony of New Glarus, Wisconsin. At that place he was occupied in merchandising until 1853, when he returned to Switzerland. In the spring of 1854, having been appointed agent for the colony he returned to Wisconsin and for two years performed duties pertaining to his position. He received high commendation from his employers in the form of a written certificate, as follows: The undersigned emigrant committee certify by these presents that Messrs., Fredolin Egger and Frederick Streiff, of New Glarus, Wisconsin, appointed by power of attorney, dated 1854, as our representatives, have as such affected a complete liquidation of the interests of our society in the colony of New Glarus, to our entire satisfaction, and that we have found their accounts with us in perfect conformity, as well as duly received the ultimate balance in favor of this society. The undersigned regard it further as their duty to testify their sincere thanks to said Messrs. Egger and Streiff, for the intelligent and energetic manner in which they have conducted our affairs in the colony, relieving them herewith of all and every responsibility in this matter. At the same time, and in conclusion, the undersigned cannot help expressing their deep regret at the ungrateful behavior on the part of our former countrymen who have enjoyed our protection have blamed themselves by the continual vexation of ourselves and of our said representatives. Done in Schwanden, Canton of Glarus, Switzerland. To the President of the Emigration Committee. [SEAL] PETER JENNY, Counselor and Member of Government. Mr. E. acted as agent for the colony for two years and at the end of that time started in the mercantile and private banking business. He also served as postmaster and justice of the peace until 1874 when not being suited with the condition of the country and wishing to change his business he settled at Appleton City, St. Clair County, Missouri, and engaged in the banking business. He is a member of the Swiss Reformed Church and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias. He was married April 22, 1854, to Miss Anna Streiff, daughter of Thomas and Anna (Elmer) Streiff, of the Canton of Glarus, of Switzerland. They had eleven children, six of whom are living: John B., Thomas, Fredolin, Catherine, Fannie and Anna. Mrs. Egger died December 21, 1865, and Mr. E. was married June 10, 1866, to his second wife, Mrs. Catharine (Zweife) Walcher.
Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Oct 20 1865, Windsor Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:840
Frank Elbert, farmer and stockman, owner of a well improved farm of ninety-five acres in section 14 of Windsor township, Henry County, was born in Windsor township October 20, 1865, and is the son of Benjamin N. and Hannah (Robinson) Elbert. Benjamin N. Elbert was born in Benton County, Missouri, in 1837 and has followed farming pursuits during his entire life prior to retiring to a home in Windsor. Mrs. Hannah Elbert was born in 1840. The children born to this worthy couple are: William F., a farmer in Benton County, Missouri; Frank, of this review; Walter G., Warrensburg, Missouri; Mrs. Nettie Wesner, Windsor, Missouri; Minnie, wife of Ed Huston, Leeton, Missouri. The Elberts are among the oldest of the Missouri families and their advent into Missouri dates back to the very beginning of things in this State. Frank Elbert was reared on his father's farm and left home when twenty years of age to take employment as a shopman in the railroad car shops of Kansas City and later in Chicago, Illinois. Learning the barber's trade he opened a shop at Green Ridge in Pettis County in 1894 and followed this vocation until 1907, when he again engaged in farming in Pettis County. In 1910 Mr. Elbert purchased his present home place in Windsor township. On July 20, 1889, Frank Elbert and Miss Rosa Sena Marti were united in the bonds of matrimony. Mrs. Rosa Elbert was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, the daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Corman) Marti, natives of Switzerland, who came from Ohio to Benton County, Missouri, in 1866 when the present Mrs. Elbert was but one year old. Mr. Elbert is a Democrat in politics and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He and Mrs. Elbert are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ELBERT, Thomas L.
Windsor, Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Jan 31 1856, Tebo Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:538
Thomas L. Elbert, live stock dealer, Windsor, Missouri, is a native born citizen of Henry County and a son of one of the early pioneers of this county. Mr. Elbert was born on a farm in Tebo township January 31, 1856, the son of Loadman Y. and Mary J. (Sallee) Elbert, who were parents of eight children as follow: Eliza, widow of Robert S. Burchman, Windsor, Missouri; Thomas L., subject of this sketch; James R. and Edwin L., deceased; Mary C. Elbert; Annie, wife of George Weatherald, a merchant of Windsor; Etta, wife of James O. Sutherland, of Johnson County, Missouri; Della, deceased. Loadman Elbert was born near Louisville, Kentucky, December 6, 1830, and died November 21, 1881. He came to Henry County, Missouri, with his parents, Henry and Elizabeth (McDaniel) Elbert, in 1836. Henry Elbert was one of the best known and most prominent of the early pioneers of this section of Missouri. He served as district judge of the County Court of old Graves County, representing the Sedalia district. He was well and favorably known throughout the territory now comprised in Benton, Henry, Johnson and Pettis Counties. In his earlier years Loadman Elbert was engaged in the mercantile business. When the discovery of gold aroused the adventurous spirits of the country, he was among the first to cross the plains and mountains in 1849 en route to the gold fields of the Pacific slope. He made a stake in the far west during his gold mining venture and upon his return in 1852 was united in marriage to Mary J. Sallee on October 10, 1852. He then engaged in the general mercantile business at Calhoun, Missouri. After some years experience as a merchant he engaged in farming and stock raising and died on his home place in Windsor township. Mrs. Mary Elbert, his wife, was born in Callaway County, Missouri, August 10, 1836, and departed this life on August 17, 1912. She was the eldest daughter of Thomas and Eliza (Gaines) Sallee, natives of Kentucky, who were among the early pioneer settlers of Callaway County. Thomas L. Elbert was reared on his father's farm in Henry County and began upon his own account in 1877, at which time he engaged in farming and purchased a tract of land in Windsor township. He remained upon his farm until 1908 and then removed to Windsor, where he engaged in the buying, selling and shipping of live stock, having previously been engaged in this business for twenty years prior while still carrying on his farming operations. Mr. Elbert is the largest individual stock dealer in Windsor and one of the most extensive in Henry County. For the past three years he has been purchasing mules for the use of the United States Government. In the spring of 1908 Mr. Elbert disposed of his fine farm of 500 acres. On February 7, 1877, Thomas L. Elbert and Mary E. Daniels were united in marriage. Mrs. Mary E. Elbert was born in New York State December 28, 1858, and departed this life August 27, 1916. She was the daughter of LeRoy and Hannah (Steele) Daniels, an account of whom is given in this volume in connection with the sketch of DeLacy Daniels. The Democratic party has always had the allegiance of Mr. Elbert, who is now serving as city alderman of Windsor and is also one of the Henry County supervisors and has been a director of the Citizens Bank of Windsor for nearly twenty years. He is a member of the Baptist Church and is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Elbert is one of the best known citizens of Henry County and can be seen daily transacting business in his genial, friendly, honest manner which has made him a success in his chosen vocation.
ELGAN, J. J.
Doyal Township, St. Clair County
born: 1855, Greene Co, IN
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1191
J. J. ELGAN, farmer, section 15, was born in Greene County, Indiana, September 10, 1855, and is the son of James M. and Leah (Guthrie) Elgan. The subject of this sketch came to this county in 1876 and now owns a farm of 300 acres. He married Miss Rebecca J. Doyal in 1878. They have a family of three children. Mrs. Elgan's father was H. L. M. Doyal, a native of Illinois, who moved to this county in 1866, and he became one of the large farmers of St. Clair County. In 1882 he moved to Texas, where he now resides. He married a Miss L. Copeland, of Tennessee. To them were born seven children.
Doyal Township, St. Clair County
born: n/a, Ireland
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1192
JAMES ELLIOTT, who for a period of twenty-five years has been a resident of St. Clair County, owes his nativity to Ireland, from which country he emigrated at an early day and settled in Carroll County, Ohio. In 1855 he removed to Linn County, Iowa, and lived there until 1858, when he came to this county. During the late war he served three years in the state militia. He owns nearly 1,500 acres of land and is one of the large tax payers of the county. His homestead on section 22 is noted as being the place where the first county court was held, it then being in the possession of Ebenezer Gash. Mr. Elliott holds the office of justice of the peace. He was married in 1855 to Miss Mary Scott, of Linn County, Iowa. By this union there are eleven children living: Jane, John, Josey, James, Abraham L., Sarah, Richard, Scott, Millie, Celia and Rebecca. Three are deceased.
ELLIOTT, S. H.
Shawnee Township, Henry County
born: Feb 27 1847, Cooper Co, MO
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:666
S. H. Elliott, blacksmith, merchant and farmer, Shawnee Mound, was born in Cooper County, Missouri, February 27, 1847, his parents being William C. and Sarah D. (Throckmorton) Elliott, the former of Tennessee and the latter of North Carolina. S. H. was the seventh child in a family of eleven children. He was brought up and educated in his native county, and from 1862-4 was employed by the government as teamster. In 1864 he enlisted in Company H, Forty-fifth Missouri Infantry, and was discharged in June, 1865. He then worked at the blacksmith trade for one year in Bates County, subsequently moving to Calhoun, Henry County, where he followed his chosen calling till 1874. Then he came to Shawnee Mound. In June, 1882, he embarked in the hardware business. He also is the owner of a good farm of seventy acres. August 11, 1868, Mr. Elliott married Miss Mary Y. Clark, who was born in Henry County, Missouri, February 28, 1843. They have four children, Sarah O., George W., John H. C. and Lena J. They have lost two. Mr. and Mrs. E. are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the Masonic Fraternity.
ELLISTON, James Lee
Clinton, Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Dec 22 1864, Fields Creek Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:879
James L. Elliston, a well-known general insurance man of Clinton, Missouri, is a native son of Henry County. He was born in Fields Creek in 1864, the son of Jeptha D. and Elvira F. Ferguson (Lewis) Elliston, the former a native of Grant County, Kentucky, and the latter a native of Virginia. Jeptha D. Elliston settled in the northern portion of Henry County prior to the Civil War. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Confederate army, and at the close of the war returned to Henry County, and lived but a short time. He died in 1865. His wife survived him a number of years, departing this life in 1900. James L. Elliston was reared in Henry County and educated in the public schools; and has been in the insurance business in Clinton practically since he reached manhood. In 1885 he entered the general insurance business in Clinton, with Theodore W. Collins. In 1903 this partnership was dissolved and Mr. Elliston continued the insurance business alone. He is recognized as one of the successful insurance men of Henry County, and has built up an extensive business. Mr. Elliston has been identified with the Democratic party since boyhood, and has taken an active interest in local politics. He has served as city treasurer, councilman and mayor of Clinton. He was elected mayor in 1898, serving a term of two years. In 1901 James L. Elliston was united in marriage with Miss Louise Oldham, a native of Mississippi, and a daughter of Doctor Oldham. Mr. Elliston is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and is a Knights Templar Mason and member of the Mystic Shrine. He also holds membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
EMERSON, Thomas Addison
Osceola Township, St. Clair County
born: 1849, Cumberland Co, KY
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1079
THOMAS ADDISON EMERSON, blacksmith and wagonmaker, was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, in 1849. His father, Samuel R. Emerson was born in Green County, Kentucky, in 1801. His grandfather came from Ireland. Thomas' mother, Elizabeth H. Bledsoe was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky. Her father was Benjamin B. Bledsoe, of England. Samuel Emerson came to Missouri, and settled in Georgetown, Pettis County, in 1851, making a claim on the land where Sedalia now stands. He was an attorney for many years, and after living in Taney, Benton, and Johnson Counties, he finally located in Bolivar, Polk County, and bought a farm, and for a while divided his time between farming and his profession. He subsequently devoted his time to the farm until his death in 1865. His widow died in 1871. He was the third son of a family of seven, all of whom were attorneys. The subject of this sketch is the eighth of nine children, of whom but three sons survive: Samuel F., W. B., and Thomas A., and all are blacksmiths. In 1869, Mr. E. came to this city and is now doing a good business at his trade. He married Miss Sally E. Prock, October 26, 1874. She is the daughter of Ambrose Prock. They have two children: Ralph, and Rosa Bell. Politically he is a Greenbacker. He was deputy sheriff of this county and jailor for five years.
ENGEMAN, August Sr.
Germantown, Deepwater Township, Henry County
born: Nov 11 1847, Hickory Grove Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:437
August Engeman, a successful farmer and stockman of the Germantown settlement and owner of 187 1/2 acres of good farm lands, was born in Hickory Grove township, Warren County, Missouri, a son of Henry Engeman, who emigrated from England to America in the thirties. Henry Engeman was a native of Germany and in his younger days was employed in a sugar refinery at London, England, prior to his immigration to America. His wife was Mary Fisher, who bore him the following children: August, the subject of this review; Mrs. Dena Dansenbrink, Montrose, Missouri; Henry Engeman, Jr., of Warren County; Charles Engeman, Montrose, Missouri; Lena, Montrose, Missouri; Lizzie Engeman, a Sister in Ohio, and John Engeman, Montrose, Missouri. In 1871 Henry Engeman came to Henry County, where he remained until he retired to a home at Appleton City, where his death occurred. For a good many years August Engeman supported his parents and helped the family with his earnings. He began life with the handicap of poverty and the additional burden of having to support his parents. For four years he was employed on the irrigation ranches in Humboldt County, Nevada, and during that time he sent regular remittances to the home folks. During one season when he was in Nevada he took his mother with him and she remained there one year. Even after his return from Nevada he still cared for his parents. His first purchase of 194 acres of land was made in 1879, near Appleton City, Missouri. In 1897 he made his first purchase of land in the Germantown locality, and has been adding to his acreage continuously until he now owns 189 1/2 acres in different tracts. Mr. Engeman paid good prices for his land and has managed to accumulate his acreage by the exercise of hard work, industry and economy of the strictest 'character. In 1900 he erected a comfortable and imposing brick residence of eight rooms. Mr. Engeman was married in 1884 to Miss Lizzie Meyer, who was born in Franklin County, Missouri. To this marriage have been born eight children: Mary resides with an aunt in Franklin County, Missouri; Joseph, at home assisting his father in the farm work; Annie, died at the age of three years; Regina, a Sister in Perry County, Missouri; August, Jr., Louise, Rose, Henry and Anthony at home with their parents. Mr. Engeman is an independent in political matters and. votes for the individual rather than supporting the man who bears a party label. He and all of his family are members of the Germantown Catholic Church.
ENGEMAN, Charles W.
Montrose, Deepwater Township, Henry County
born: Jun 1853, Warren Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:460
Charles W. Engeman, retired farmer and vice-president of the Montrose Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, Montrose, Missouri, was born in Warren County, Missouri, in 1853 and is the son of Henry and Mary (Fischer) Engeman, natives of Germany who immigrated to America in 1833, and first located in Warren County, Missouri. In 1872 they came to Henry County and settled near Appleton City on the Henry - St. Clair County line. Henry Engeman was born in 1815 and died in 1885. Mary Engeman was born in 1846 and died in 1906. They were parents of ten children: August, lives near Germantown; Mrs. Dena Danzebrink, a widow, living at Montrose; Henry, deceased; Charles W.; Mrs. Mary Hillerman, living east of Germantown; Mrs. Lena Thompson, a widow, living with the subject of this review; Anna, died at the age, of eleven years; Louisa, now Sister Viojante, New York; Christina, deceased; and John Engeman, Montrose, Missouri. Charles Engeman accompanied his parents to Henry County in 1872, and in the spring of 1875 he went to Nevada, and was employed for three years upon an irrigated ranch near Winnemucca, Paradise Valley, Humboldt County, that State. In 1878 he returned to Montrose and resided here for two years. He returned to Nevada in 1880 and remained there for two years. He then came home and resided with his parents. In 1897, Mr. Engeman purchased his present farm of seventy-two acres and has since been engaged in farming and coal mining. Seventy acres of the Engeman farm are leased for coal mining purposes and the coal is obtained by the "stripping" process of mining. Several thousand tons have been mined from the land and coal has been taken from the place for the past twenty years. During 1917 there were mined on the Engeman tract a total of 2,944 bushels of coal. Mr. Engeman is an independent Democrat and is a member of the Montrose Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He has been connected with the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Montrose since 1907.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Nov 24 1862, St. Louis, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:597
James England - Henry County is dotted with coal mines from east to west and from north to south. There are many men employed in this industry. Some of the owners have a number of mines in operation, others only a few, but wherever they are men are kept employed the year around, mining this needful fuel. James England operates two mines near Deepwater, Missouri, in Clinton township. He was born November 24, 1862, in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of William England and Sarah (Eccles) England. William England was born in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1837 and in 1857 sailed from his native shores to the United States. From the Mississippi Valley he set out afoot to the western part of Wyoming. He spent eighteen months in that vast wild unexplored land. Then, after many exciting experiences with the Indians, and no shelter over his head but the stars, he made his return trip on foot again, locating in St. Louis, afterward moving to Bellville, Illinois, where he made his home until 1885, when he came to Henry County, Missouri, locating four miles east of Clinton. He made improvements on the land which he purchased, and developed the mine of coal, which is still being operated. He was married to Sarah Eccles in St. Louis, Missouri. She was a native of Staffordshire, England, born in 1840. Her parents emigrated to this country in 1847, locating near Council Bluffs, Iowa, later moving to St. Louis. She passed away in 1889 and her husband in 1907. They had the following children: James, the subject of this sketch; William, Joseph, Edmund, Sarah Jane, Elizabeth Ann and Mary, all living on the old home farm except Mary, who departed this life in 1904, being the wife of James H. Cheatham at the time of her death. James England received his education in Bellville, Illinois, and in company with his father had become interested in coal mining. After his marriage on June 28, 1884, to Hannah Jervis, who was born May 1, 1863, in Derbyshire, England, the young couple came to Henry County and located near Deepwater, Missouri. They are the parents of four children: Mary, a teacher of the Powersville, Missouri, school. She graduated from the Deepwater High School, Warrensburg Normal and was a student of Missouri University. Miss England was superintendent of the Powersville school and favorably known by Uel Lamkin, editor and author of this history. William C. and Harry are assisting their father in the work of the coal mines; Lillian, wife of Earl Huey, makes her home in Deepwater, Missouri. Mr. England is the owner of 117 acres of well improved land which he farms in connection with his mining interests. He leases 200 acres of land for the mining operations, in which he has two coal mines, employing thirty men. Mr. England is an independent Republican in his politics. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias Lodge and the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
ENGLISH, Joseph L.
Osceola Township, St. Clair County
born: 1830, St. Louis, MO
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1080
JOSEPH L. ENGLISH, was born in St. Louis, February 12, 1830. His father, E. English, who was born in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1788, was a carpenter by trade, and came to St. Louis in 1816. He married Miss Catherine Foulks, born in Pennsylvania, March 18, 1800. Her father was Christopher Foulks, originally from Germany, and a tobacconist by calling. Mr. English died in St. Louis, August 14, 1866, and his wife died November 28, 1882. They raised a family of twenty-one children, twelve boys and nine girls, Joseph L. being the seventh. He learned the tinner's trade at his birth place, and when twenty-one years of age went to Chester, Illinois, and open a tin and stove store. In one year he sold out, and returned to St. Louis, and commenced the brewing business, which he continued for four years. In 1853, he came to Warsaw, and resumed the tin and stove business. In 1860, he came to Osceola, and conducted a drug business with Washington Dorrell. In 1862, Osceola was burned, and his stock shared the fate of the city. After remaining here for a year, he returned to St. Louis, entering into work for the government at his trade, and continuing it until the close of the war. After one year's residence in Sedalia, he came to Osceola, and in 1867, formed a partnership with William Shelton, and they, built the first tin and stove store in town, and one of the first buildings erected in the town. Since 1870, he has been alone, doing a very successful business. In 1883, on account of poor health, he disposed of his stock of goods and stoves and retired from business. In 1855, he married Miss Mary Dorrell, the daughter of Dr. W. Dorrell. She died in 1870, leaving two children, Alonzo and Lillie. His second wife was Sarah M. Stovall, of Franklin County, whom he married in 1873. Her father was Thomas Stovall. They have two children, Thomas and Maud. Mr. English votes the Democratic ticket. Mrs.E. is a member of the Baptist Church. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W. fraternities.
ERHART, John Nicholas
Bear Creek Township, Henry County
born: Jul 19 1831, Bavaria, Germany
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:764
Nicholas Erhart was born in Bavaria, Germany, July 19, 1831, and was the son of George and Susana Erhart, nee Schreffer, also natives of Bavaria. Nicholas emigrated to the United States in 1844, and while on the way to Missouri his mother died in Pennsylvania. He spent his youth on a farm and was educated in his native country. He served in the Mexican war six months, and after his discharge was engaged in freighting to Santa Fe for three years. In 1852 he crossed the plains to California and remained two years. In the early part of 1855 he returned to Missouri and located land in Henry County with a warrant received for his service in the Mexican war. He now owns 1,300 acres. Mr. Erhart was married in this county in the summer of 1855 to Miss Melvina Coffelt, a Kentuckian by birth and a daughter of Philip Coffelt. They have four children: Melvina V. (now Mrs. C. Detro), Georgian G., Ida Belle and Nellie. Mrs. Erhart is a member of the M. E. Church. Mr. E. served one year in the Missouri State Militia and participated in the battle of Lone Jack. He is one of the largest stock feeders and dealers in his township.
ERWIN, Walter H.
Urich, Bogard Township, Henry County
born: Dec 19 1873
Source:1917 Missouri The Center State, selected bios reprinted by Clinton Democrat
Walter H. Erwin, cashier of the Bank of Urich and by reason of his business connections well known in his section of the state, was born in Henry County, near Urich, December 19, 1873, a son of David and Mary (McCalmon) Erwin, who were natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania respectively. In early life the father learned the trades of a carpenter and machinist at Akron, Ohio, but put aside the business cares at the time of the civil War to aid his country in the defense of the Union, enlisting as a member of Company G, Sixteenth Regiment of Ohio Volunteers. He rose to a position of rank and did active duty in defense of the flag until the close of the war. Soon after leaving the service he came to Missouri in 1865, settling upon a farm in Henry County, which he still owns. There he carried on general agricultural pursuits for many years, but in 1908 removed to Urich, where he is now living retired. While upon the farm he not only tilled the fields but also engaged in the stock business. He has served as assessor of his township but has never sought nor desired public office. In a family of four children Walter H. Erwin was the third in order of birth. He supplemented his district-school training by two years' study in the Chillicothe, Mo. Normal School. From the time he was old enough to handle the plow he assisted his father in the work of the arm and ultimately became his partner. He remained upon the old homestead until he came to Urich, at which time he entered the Bank of Urich in the capacity of bookkeeper. After filing that position for one year he was promoted to assistant cashier and when he had served in the latter capacity for two years he was made cashier and has since so remained, his enterprise and progressive methods contributing to the success of the institution with which he is connected. He is also a landowner in Henry County. On the 11th of May, 1903, Mr. Erwin was united in marriage to Miss Ada King, who was born in Johnson County, Missouri, a daughter of the Rev. S. Finis and Mary (Buxom) King, the former a native of Johnson County, Missouri, and the latter of North Carolina. When four years of age Mrs. King was brought by her parents to Missouri. Rev. King entered the ministry in early life and was stated clerk of Lexington Presbytery for a number of years. His grandfather was one of the founders of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Tennessee. Rev. King died in January, 1902, and his widow now resides with Mr. and Mrs. Erwin, the latter being the youngest of their three children. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Erwin have been born two sons: Frank Noble, born in September, 1905; and Eugene E., born January 4, 1910. The family hold membership in the Presbyterian Church and are actively interested in all that pertains to the moral progress of the community. In politics Mr. Erwin is a stalwart Republican but never an office seeker. He belongs to Urich Lodge, No. 286, A.F.&A.M. of which he is the present master; to Urich Lodge, No. 527, I.O.O.F., of which he is treasurer; to the Woodmen camp, of which he is clerk; and both he and his wife are connected with the Rebekah degree of Odd Fellowship. Mr. Erwin has spent his entire life in Henry County and the fact that many of his staunchest friends are those who have known him from his boyhood to the present indicates that his career has been an honorable and upright one. He has ever sought to do right by his fellowmen and in all business dealings has been straightforward and reliable, while his support of public measures of value has gained him classification with the citizens of worth in his part of the state.
Taber Township, St. Clair County
born: 1841, St. Clair Co, IL
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1213
BIRD ESTES, farmer, section 10, was born in St. Clair County, Illinois, September 6, 1841. His father, Jackson Estes, was a Kentuckian by birth, while his mother, whose maiden name was Abigail Jackson, was a native of Illinois. When Bird was but a child his parents moved to Benton County, Missouri, where he grew to manhood, there being engaged in farming till 1867, when he went to Henry County. In 1869 he came to St. Clair County. and here has since resided. His farm contains 120 acres. In August, 1862, he joined the Enrolled Militia, and in December, 1863, he re-enlisted in the state militia under Colonel Philips, being mustered out July 11, 1865, as sergeant. September 3, 1865, he was married to Miss Lucy A. Bradley, of Henry County, Missouri, born December 15, 1845. They have four children: Eugenie B., Nellie D.. Agnes D., and Harry C. Mr. and Mrs. E. are members of the Baptist Church.
EVANS, S. M.
Butler Township, St. Clair County
born: 1834, Pickaway Co, OH
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1181
S. M. EVANS, farmer and stock raiser, section 3, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, December 11, 1834. His father, James Evans, a native of Pennsylvania, married Miss Hulda Morris, who was born in New Jersey. When S. M. was two years old his parents moved to Hancock County, Illinois, where he was brought up and educated. He followed farming there until 1857, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. His present farm contains 110 acres. In 1874 Mr. E. was elected justice of the peace. He is a member of the Christian Church, October 21, 1859, he married Miss Margaret Hilliges, a native of Ohio. They have six children: Sarah P., David W., Joseph H., Michael H., Christina and Ella May.
EVERETT, John Nathaniel
Osceola Township, St. Clair County
born: 1858, Henry Co, MO
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1081
JOHN NATHANIEL EVERETT was born in Henry County, Missouri, February 28, 1858, his parents being Simeon and Ann Rebecca (Thornton) Everett, Virginians by birth. The father of the former was Nathaniel Everett, also of Virginia, his wife being a daughter of J. F. Thornton, of Virginia, born in 1800. Simeon Everett came to Missouri and settled in Henry County in 1842, John T. Thornton having located there in 1839. He owned the ferry across Grand River in Osage Township. Mr. Thornton is now eighty-three years of age and has been deaf for thirty years. He now lives with his daughter, Mrs. A. R. Everett, in Brownington. The subject of this sketch worked hard on the farm from the time he was a small boy until 1870, when the family moved to Clinton, and he entered the Democrat office and learned the printer's trade. He worked in that office eleven years. He came to this city in October, 1882, and is now foreman of the Voice printing office. Mr. Everett married Miss Maggie Schrewsberry April 3, 1881. They have one child, Nellie May, born September 14, 1882. Politically, he is a Democrat. He belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
EYE, Jacob J.
Appleton Township, St. Clair County
born: 1840, Pendleton Co, WV
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1109
JACOB J. EYE, section 4, is a native of Pendleton County, West Virginia, and was born October 20, 1840. he was brought up in the occupation of farming, and continued it at his birthplace till March, 1870, when he came to Missouri, locating in Henry County, near the St. Clair County line. In 1872, he settled on his present farm. He has a fine tract of 282 acres, well improved. Mr. Eye was married May 10, 1862, to Miss F. Davis, who came originally from West Virginia. They have eight children: Mary P., Floyd D., Ulra C., Jacob F., Robert L., James V., Gertie M., and an infant. Mr. E. was a soldier in Company K, Twenty-fifth Virginia Regiment, and served through the war.