NALL, Gilbert F.
Osage Township, Henry County
born: Jul 11 1838, Hardin Co, KY
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:752
Gilbert F. Nall, farmer and stock feeder, section 33, came originally from Hardin County, Kentucky, where he was born July 11, 1838. His parents, A. J. and Theodocia Nall, nee Berry, were also Kentuckians by birth. Gilbert F. spent his younger days in his native county on a farm, receiving his primary education at the common schools. When nineteen years of age he commenced teaching, which he continued for six years. He was married in Washington County, Kentucky, April 9, 1863, to Miss Amanda F. Wright, of that county, and a daughter of Nathaniel Wright. Mr. Wall was subsequently engaged in farming in Hardin County, until he came to Missouri, in 1876, and locating first in Benton County. In 1871 he removed to Henry County and bought land and settled on his present place. He has 220 acres, of which 165 acres are in cultivation. Since coming here, he has taught two winter terms of school, but has since devoted his time to the farm and the raising and feeding of stock. Mr. and Mrs. Nall have a family of three children: E. F. Nail, Bertie Mabel, and Grace. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Appleton Township, St. Clair County
born: 1852, Highland Co, OH
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1119
ANDREW NAYLOR was born in Highland County, Ohio, November 19, 1852. His father,. James H. Naylor, was a native of that county and was born in 1818. His mother, formerly Jane Kincaid, came originally from the same state. They had seven children, Andrew being the youngest. When seven years of age the family moved to Brown County, Ohio, and lived there until 1867, when they settled in Henry County, Missouri, near Windsor. From December, 1867, to the spring of 1868 he attended school at Clinton, Missouri. In 1868 he was engaged at the trade of carriage painting, which he continued two years. Going to Butler, Missouri, he worked at that trade till September, 1872, when he came to Appleton City and clerked with different firms until January, 1883. He then established himself in the grocery trade. Mr. Naylor was married January 18, 1878, to Miss Sarah B. Hodkins, of Ohio, a daughter of James Hodkins. They have one child, Charles A. He is a member of the Masonic order.
NEAL, George Alfred
Osceola Township, St. Clair County
born: 1856, KY
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1095
GEORGE ALFRED NEAL was born December 17, 1856. His grandfather, James Neal, a native of Virginia emigrated to Kentucky at an early day. Moses W., the father of George, was born in Kentucky, October 7, 1825. He married Miss Lucretia A. King. He was for many years a popular hotel man in Kentucky. In 1858, he removed to Indiana. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the Thirty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned first lieutenant on the 31st of December, 1862. He fell mortally wounded at the battle of Murfreesboro. The subject of this sketch is the oldest of three living children. He commenced attending the public schools of Indiana, when five years of age, and after his father's death he returned with his mother to Kentucky. At the age of fifteen he entered Smithfield College and remained there until twenty years old. He then entered the law office of Benjamin S. Robbins, and read law under his instruction for one year, soon returning to Smithfield College he resumed his legal studies in Louisville, Kentucky, until March, 1881, when he was admitted to the bar. In April of that year he came to Osceola. He was married December 24, 1881, to Miss Lily Bell High, of Louisville, Kentucky.
NEALE, George Lafayette
Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Sep 29 1836, New Madrid Co, MO
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:589
George Lafayette Neale, photographer, was born in New Madrid County, Missouri, September 29, 1836. His father, Thomas Neale, was born in Henry County, Kentucky, November 23, 1801. He came to New Madrid County in 1819, and remained until 1849 when he moved to Johnson County, a few miles north of Windsor, purchasing a large tract of land. He was engaged for thirty years in boating on the Mississippi River, first as a common hand, then as pilot and then for years as captain. In this capacity and occupation he became very wealthy, adding farm to farm and keeping his river business in operation at the same time. He died in February, 1879. His wife, formerly Margaret Davidson, was born in Warren County, Kentucky, in 1806, and died in 1845. George, the subject of this sketch, was well educated, his early life being spent in school. In 1856 he learned the photograph business and has been in the business, and has had an interest in a gallery ever since. He has kept up with the many varied improvements and is a most artistic workman. In 1872 he became cashier in the banking house of Thomas Neale & Company and was engaged there for four years. He was then interested in the furniture business for two years, after which he returned to his gallery. Mr. N. married Miss Amanda S. Duncan in 1857. She was the daughter of Samuel Duncan, Esq., who came to Missouri in 1835, and to this county in 1853, settling near Windsor. He died October 31, 1882. Her mother's maiden name was Parilla Bass, born in Boone County, Missouri. They have three children: Samuel Edwin, Bettie Honley and Katie Lee. Politically Mr. Neale is a Democrat. Mrs. N. belongs to the M. E. Church, South. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W. lodges, in which he takes a deep and active interest.
NEILL, Stephen Thompson
Clinton, Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Apr 9 1865, Lexington, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:317
Dr. Stephen Thompson Neill, successfully engaged in the practice of dentistry in Clinton and is mayor of the city; was born in Lexington, Missouri, April 9, 1865. He is a son of Henry and Sallie Ann (Elliott) Neill, the former a native of Lee County, Virginia, and the latter a daughter of Col. Newton Glasgow Elliott of Howard County, Missouri. In early life Major Neill followed merchandising in Lexington, Missouri. He served throughout the Civil War, was major and colonel of his regiment and participated in the battles of Lone Jack, Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek and others; he was commander of the post at Clinton, Henry County, where his many acts of kindness and protection were appreciated by those holding opposite views to his. After his military service was concluded he studied law, was admitted to the bar and moved to Warrensburg, Missouri, where he began to practice, and there he remained until his death, which occurred in 1895. His wife passed away in 1871. They were the parents of six children. Doctor Neill, the youngest, upon the death of his mother was taken by his father's sister, Mrs. Jane H. Wilson, to Lexington, Missouri, where he attended the public schools until the marriage of his father to Mrs. Lizzie Pennock. He then returned to Warrensburg and attended the public schools of that city. In 1876, when eleven years of age, he moved to the home of his sister near Dover and began farm work for his brother-in-law at a salary of five dollars per month, and during the winter months he attended the district school. At the age of sixteen his aunt, Mrs. Wilson, sent him for a term to Wentworth Military Academy at Lexington and in 1882 he began the study of dentistry, attending the Philadelphia Dental College and the St. Louis Dental College. At the age of twenty years, in 1885, he graduated and began the practice of his profession in Corder, Missouri; a year later he moved to Harrisonville, this State; and in 1887 he came to Clinton, where he has continued in the general practice of dentistry, being widely recognized as one of the most able and efficient representatives of the profession and one of Clinton's most progressive citizens. In February, 1892, Doctor Neill was married to Miss Cannarissa Adair, of Shawnee Mound, Henry County, Missouri, a daughter of William and Dorcas Ann (Fuqua) Adair, both natives of Kentucky. Her father was a farmer and stock raiser, conducting an extensive business. His parents were residents of Westport, now a part of Kansas City, near Swope Park. He was born in Kentucky, to which his mother had gone on a visit. In 1849, when eighteen years of age, he crossed the plains to California in command of a party from Westport, and made the journey across the Isthmus of Panama upon his return home two years later. In 1856 he settled in Henry County, where he engaged extensively in farming and stock raising, owning about six hundred acres. The family resided on the old homestead until the death of the father which occurred when he was seventy-eight years of age, while his wife passed away at the age of eighty-three. Mrs. Neill is the youngest of six children. There has been born a son to Doctor and Mrs. Neill, Stephen T. III, whose natal day was October 1, 1904. Doctor Neill has ever been interested in the welfare and progress of his community. He assisted in the organization of the Missouri Union Telephone Company in 1898 and for twenty years has served as a director. He has been identified with the independent telephone throughout the state and nation, acting as president of the State association and several times as a delegate to the national conventions. He is likewise associated with several other local enterprises. In politics Doctor Neill is a Democrat and for seven years was councilman of Clinton, acting at one time for six months as mayor. In April of 1918 he was elected to the office of mayor of Clinton and is now serving the people of his home city in this executive capacity faithfully and well. He belongs to the Blue Lodge, of which he is a past master, and the chapter of the Masonic fraternity, and also to the Knights of Pythias. He is a man of many sterling traits of character, of pronounced professional ability and business enterprise, and wherever he is known he is held in the highest regard.
Osceola Township, St. Clair County
born: 1846, Mt. Jackson, PA
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1094
SCOTT NESBIT was born in Mt. Jackson, Pennsylvania, November 25, 1846. He received a common school education, and like many American boys with that slight equipment started out to "paddle his own canoe" in the general race. He first entered business as a dealer in Canada pine lumber until a high protective duty being put on it virtually prohibited its importation. A few months later he entered the dry goods business at Edenburg, Pennsylvania, succeeding quite well until failing health compelled him to seek a different climate. In 1870 he removed to St. Clair County, Missouri, and opened a stock farm in Monegaw Township, continuing in that business until March, 1874. when he removed to Osceola, Missouri, to take the position of assistant cashier, a position he still occupies, in the St. Clair County Bank, of which he was one of the original incorporators. He is the third son of John C. and Harriett Nesbit, both of whom are still living in this county. The other brothers are Charles W. Nesbit, a farmer of St. Clair County, who is well known, as one of the most advanced breeders of thoroughbred stock in Southwest Missouri, and the Hon. Frank C. Nesbit, who represented St. Clair County in the Missouri Legislature in 1876, and was also the Hancock elector for his district in 1880, and has for two terms held the position of secretary of the Missouri Senate. Mr. Nesbit has a natural talent for the banking business, and is looked upon as one of the best financiers in the state.
Deer Creek Township, Henry County
born: Jul 1 1860, Vernon Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:583
Charles Newman - For the past fifty years Charles Newman has made his home at his present residence in Deer Creek township. He was born July 1, 1860, in Vernon County, Missouri, the son of Jonathan and Martha J. (Prior) Newman. They were born in Cooper County, Missouri, and Tennessee, respectively. In 1866, they left their home in Vernon County, Missouri, and lived on land in Johnson County for two years; then they came to Henry County and rented the farm which was originally owned by Abraham Wiley for two years, after which they settled on the "Newman Homestead" in Deer Creek township, and followed their farming activities. Jonathan Newman was a veteran of the Civil War, having served in the Confederate Army. He passed away December 6, 1892, and his wife survived him until 1912. Charles Newman attended the district school and has always remained on the home farm, looking after its interests and the numberless tasks of conducting it successfully. August 19, 1891, Mr. Newman was married to Columbia J. Goff, the daughter of Lewis I. and Sarah (Wiley) Goff, who were born in Henry County, descendants of pioneer settlers. Mrs. Columbia Newman was born in Tebo township, August 18, 1862, and received her education in the district schools. Twins, Lewis and Mary, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Newman. Mary died in infancy and Lewis, born April 21, 1893, became a private in the National Army February 26, 1918, and is now serving in the 354th Infantry Regiment, 89th Division of the United States Army, now "Somewhere in France." Lewis is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. and Mrs. Newman own 241 acres of land. He is not seeking political honors, but exercises his right of franchise by voting the Democratic ticket. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Church, South.
NICHOLS, Edward Y.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Jun 27 1829, Franklin Co, VT
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:534
Edward Y. Nichols, M.D., is a native of Franklin County, Vermont, and was born June 27th, 1829. He was reared at his birthplace, receiving his education from the Bakersfield (Vermont) Academy, and in 1851 he began the study of medicine under Dr. B. S. Nichols, of White Hall, New York. After one years course with that physician he continued his studies under Dr. T. B. Nichols, of Crown Point, New York, remaining with him for three years, and during this time he attended lectures for two terms at the Casselton Medical College, New York, from which he graduated. Going to New York City he attended the medical term of 1854-5 in the New York Medical College. He then came west and began the practice of medicine at Union, Henry County, Illinois, remaining there eight months, when he removed to Mason County, Illinois. After following his profession in that vicinity till 1864, he located at Pekin, Illinois, and was there interested in the drug business together with his practice. In 1877 he came to Clinton, Missouri. Dr. Nichols was married July 30, 1856, to Miss Permillia A. Cheek, a native of Kentucky. They have six children, William E., Nellie P., Charles H., Francis Y., Arthur L. and Frederick C. The doctor is a member of the First Presbyterian Church.
Davis Township, Henry County
born: Jan 3 1818, Franklin Co, KY
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:737
Harrison Noble was born in Franklin County, Kentucky, January 3, 1818. His father, William Noble, a native of Virginia, was a soldier in the war of independence, participating in the battle of Guilford Court House. He married Hannah Miner, of Pennsylvania. Of a family of seven children, Harrison was the sixth; four are now living. At the age of eleven years he was taken to Parke County, Indiana, where he grew to man's estate, and on his nineteenth birthday he was married to Miss Olley Spurgeon, also of Kentucky. His father died in 1841, and in the following year he emigrated to Missouri. Himself and wife drove with ox teams to their new home and settled in what is now Harrison County, Missouri, then a portion of Daviess. He was engaged in farming and in running a steam mill there for nearly forty years. In 1869 Mr. Noble came to Henry County and bought a tract of land four miles south of Clinton, consisting of nearly 900 acres. He began to handle stock, and continued farming until 1876, when he became interested in selling goods at LaDue, having the second store of any note in the place. He and his youngest son Harrison, sold goods for about two years, when he disposed of his store interests and has since been occupied in handling and manufacturing "Thompson's" washer. Mr. Noble is the inventor of an improved washing machine, and has received letters patent on his invention. He has been keeping the LaDue Travelers' Home for two years, and his attention as "mine host" have brought the house into popular favor. He has two farms, one of 300 acres and one of eighty acres, and both are underlaid with four foot veins of coal. On the 5th of February, 1871, the companion of Mr. Noble, she who had lent the helping hand, and had assisted and comforted him for thirty-four years, died on the 15th of May, 1875. He married Mrs. Margaret Mills, widow of James Mills, who died in 1870. Her maiden name was Margaret Tisinger and she was born in North Carolina. Mr. Noble has four children: John, Elizabeth, Harrison and Lewis, the last dying in Daviess County in May, 1881. John lives in Harrison County. Elizabeth is the wife of W. P. Martin and lives in Clinton Township. Harrison lives in LaDue. His wife was Miss Julia Saunders. Mr. Noble is a member of the Methodist Church. In politics he is a Greenbacker, having formerly been a Whig, and casting his first vote for General Harrison.
Davis Township, Henry County
born: Feb 28 1846, Parke Co, IN
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:738
Dr. Joseph Noble, physician and surgeon at LaDue, was born in Parke County, Indiana, on the last day of February, 1846, and was next to the last of ten children, of whom six are now living. His parents were natives of Shelby County, Kentucky, and settled in Indiana soon after the Indian war. Our subject bears the name of his father, and his mother's maiden name was Sarah May. His early days were fully employed assisting his father in the labors of the farm, and he acquired a fair education, mainly in the country schools and at Belmore Seminary. At the age of sixteen years he enlisted in the Fifty-fifth Indiana Volunteers and remained in that command three months, being in the action at Richmond, Kentucky. At the expiration of a year spent at home he again responded to the call for troops, this time enlisting in the 149th Indiana, and remaining in service until discharged at Nashville in September, 1865. He then passed one year in school, and when twenty years of age came west and for two years was occupied in teaching in Henry and Jasper Counties, Missouri. Returning to Indiana in 1868 he began the study of medicine with Dr. John Wilcox, at Greencastle, Indiana, with whom he studied for two years, when he attended the lecture course of the University of Virginia. He graduated from that institution in June, 1870. He retraced his steps to Coatesville, Indiana, and then began a practice that has extended over twelve years. In the Centennial year he again came to Missouri, and locating at LaDue has gained an enviable reputation among the successful practitioners of the county. As well as being a successful physician Dr. Noble is a farmer of exceptional success. His farm contains 420 acres of good land, well improved, with far better than the customary buildings, and making one of the most desirable stock farms in the county. He handles about 150 cattle, feeding forty head of good steers and sixty hogs. On the 23d of February, 1873, the doctor was married to Miss Laura Layton, a native of Indiana, born July 16, 1856. Mrs. Noble is a member of the M. E. Church. Dr. Noble is Democratic, and for twenty years has been a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Deepwater Township, Henry County
born: Nov 26 1812, Westmoreland Co, PA
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:617
John Noel, farmer and stock raiser, section 14, owes his nativity to Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, where he was born November 26, 1812, being the son of Joseph and Margaret (Griffin) Noel, natives of Maryland. John grew to manhood in the county of his birth, his youth being spent on the farm. After his sixteenth year he learned the stone and brick mason's trade, at which he worked for about sixteen years. In 1835, moving to Iowa, he located in Scott County, and was one of its pioneers, residing there upwards of thirty years, engaged in farming and working at his trade. He sold this property in 1865, and in the fall of 1866, came to Missouri, and settled in Henry County. He moved on the place where he now resides in the spring of 1867. Mr. Noel was married in Scott County, Iowa, January 9, 1846, to Miss Rachel Goldsmith. a daughter of Benjamin Goldsmith. She is a native of Preble County, Ohio, but was reared in Scott County, Iowa. They have six children: Mary A. (wife of A. McLaughlin), Benjamin F., Lucy E., Margaret C., George A., and Jacob V. They have lost five children. Mr. Noel has 180 acres of cultivated land in his home place, upon which are good buildings and an orchard of 300 bearing fruit trees. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church.
NOLD, Joseph B.
Bear Creek Township, Henry County
born: Nov 28 1868, Pilot Grove, Cooper Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:458
Joseph B. Nold. The section of country tributary to Montrose is one of the richest and most productive sections of Missouri and is noted for its fine farms and beautiful and well-kept homes. Combined with a rich soil, well watered, and which is highly productive, is an excellent class of industrious and ambitious farmers who are constantly endeavoring to improve their properties and to make the surroundings more attractive to the eye and more comfortable as places of residence. The farm of Joseph B. Nold of Bear Creek township just east of Montrose is a splendid example of what ambition and industry will accomplish in the course of a few years. This farm consists of 160 acres in the home place and 100 acres which Mr. Nold has recently sold to his brother. The land has on it fifty acres of timber, bordering on Bear Creek, and is well watered at all seasons of the year. Mr. Nold has a fine farm residence, a large barn covered with iron sheeting, sixty by seventy-two feet, two silos twelve by thirty feet, one of which is built of glazed tile. Mr. Nold is a breeder and feeder of shorthorn cattle, and feeds large numbers of cattle and hogs. For a number of years he has been engaged in the buying and shipping of live stock and handles from 50 to 100 loads annually. Joseph B. Nold was born at Pilot Grove, Cooper County, Missouri, in 1868 and is the son of Albert Nold, who was born in Germany in 1843 and accompanied his parents to America in 1850. The Nolds first settled at Cincinnati, Ohio and then moved to Illinois, making a settlement in Cooper County, Missouri, in 1868. Charles Nold, a brother, brought the first threshing outfit to Cooper County. Albert Nold has prospered as he deserved and accumulated a farm of 240 acres in Cooper County, near Pilot Grove. He also owned another tract of seventy-five acres, but has recently sold his Cooper County land and moved to Montrose, Missouri, in August, 1918. His wife was Catherine Felton; born in Germany in 1847, the daughter of Bertram Felton, who came to America in 1850, and settled in Cooper County, Missouri, during the Civil War. Bushwhackers robbed him of everything that he owned during the war, and he had a very hard time of it for a number of years. There were eleven children born to Albert and Catherine Nold, as follows: Joseph B., Max, Edward, Albert, John, Lee, and William, all living in Henry County; Mrs. Lena Neckerman, Mrs. Katie Grotzinger, Mrs. Anna Stoecklein, living in Cooper County; Mrs. Freda Brzuchalski, Henry County, Missouri. In 1893 Joseph B. Nold began his own career in Cooper County, Missouri, and became owner of a farm in that county. He disposed of his holdings there in 1909 and came to Montrose, Henry County, and invested in 160 acres of land to which he added 100 acres. He is of the opinion that there is no better section of country in Missouri than the Montrose neighborhood. Mr. Nold was married in 1893 to Miss Mary A. Neckerman, who was born in Cooper County, Missouri, the daughter of Andrew and Barbara Neckerman, natives of Germany, who were pioneer settlers of that county. Mr. and Mrs. Nold have five children: Albert A., aged eighteen years; Lena, aged sixteen years; Lovina, aged fourteen; Frank, twelve years old; and Theresia, aged ten years. Mr. and Mrs. Nold are also rearing an orphan girl, Christina, and have an adopted son, Andrew, aged twenty-eight years, now a private in the National Army, in France. The Republican party has always had the support of Joseph B. Nold, and he is now serving as trustee of Bear Creek township. He and his family are members of the Montrose Catholic Church. He is fraternally affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Knights of America, and takes a prominent and influential part in the deliberations of these bodies. Mr. Nold is universally recognized as a citizen of honor and integrity and his place among the really successful men of Henry County is well established.
NORRIS, W. C.
Honey Creek Township, Henry County
born: Nov 3 1862, Honey Creek Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:645
W. C. Norris, a prosperous and progressive farmer and stockman of Honey Creek township, comes from a family of Missouri pioneers on both his maternal and paternal sides. Mr. Norris is a native son of Henry County, and was born in Honey Creek township November 3, 1862. He is a son of W. A. and Nancy V. (Beck) Norris. W. A. Norris, the father, was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, in 1831. His parents removed to Warren County, Kentucky, at an early day and here he was reared to manhood and educated. In 1860 he went to Cooper County, Missouri, and in 1861 came to Henry County, and located in Honey Creek township. He was a Democrat and during the Civil War served in the Home Guards. He was a prosperous farmer and stock raiser and at the time of his death owned about 400 acres of land. He died November 24, 1907, and his remains rest in the Norris Cemetery. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and a man of broad acquaintance and prominent in the county. He married Nancy Virginia Beck October 6, 1853, and his widow now resides on the old home place at the ripe old age of eighty-three, and is one of the noble pioneer women of Henry County. The Norris family experienced all the hardships and privations common to the lot of the early pioneers of Henry County. When they settled here trading points and grist mills were inexcessible and they frequently went as far as Holden to mill. They were among the very first to settle in that section of Henry County. To W. A. and Nancy V. Norris were born the following children: Perlina F., married S. O. Lotspiech, Yelton, Oklahoma; Nancy, married Noah Redford, Urich, Missouri; J. N. C., Urich, Missouri; W. C., the subject of this sketch; Anna, married J. W. Hendricks, Big Creek township, Henry County; Lucy, married L. C. Redford, Bates County, Missouri; S. C., Honey Creek township, Henry County, Missouri; Cora, now Mrs. C. A. Hendricks, Big Creek township; Effie, married George A. Moore, who resides on the home place. W. C. Norris spent his boyhood days on the home place with his parents and received his education in the district schools. When he reached the age of twenty-five years he located on the place where he now resides, which he bought from his father. At first he had forty acres. This he has increased from time to time until he now owns 165 acres. His place is located three and one-fourth miles east of Urich, and is one of the best improved places in that vicinity, which bespeaks the thrift, industry and prosperity of its owner. The place is well equipped with a good, modern residence, splendid barns and an up-to-date silo, and the general layout of the farm in so far as natural advantages are concerned makes of it an ideal stock farm. Mr. Norris is extensively engaged in raising cattle and hogs and has some registered stock. He is an up-to-date stockman and recognized as one of the leaders in his section of the county. Mr. Norris has been twice married, his first wife being Goldena Redford, of Bogard township, to whom he was married in 1887. She died in 1891. He was married to Miss Olive Ayers February 21, 1906. She is a daughter of H. S. and Martha J. (Keener) Ayers of Hartwell, Missouri. The following children have been born to this union of H. S.and Martha J. (Keener) Ayers; Olive, wife of W. C. Norris; Elmer E., deceased; Herschel L.; Clara Myrtle, deceased; Pearl, deceased; Lucy, deceased; W. G., Garden City, and Ruth, Hartwell. Mrs. Norris comes from a pioneer family. Her grandfather, Israel Keener, was a pioneer of Bourbon County, Kansas, and located in that section of the Territory of Kansas on Mill Creek, near what is now the Crawford County line, long before the Civil War. He died in 1895. His wife bore the maiden name of Hannah Decker, and she died at Mineral, Cherokee County, Kansas, in January, 1918. W. C. Norris and wife have one son, William Glen. Mr. Norris is one of the substantial citizens of Henry County and he and Mrs. Norris have an extensive acquaintance and many friends in this section of the State.
NORTH, Henry C.
Osage Township, Henry County
born: Jul 15 1861, Franklin Co, IA
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:819
Henry C. North, a progressive and enterprising farmer and stockman of Osage township, is a native of Iowa. He was born in Franklin County, July 14, 1861, a son of Thompson and Anne E. (Brough) North, natives of Ohio. The mother died in 1910 and the father now resides near Lowry City, Missouri. They were the parents of the following children: Henry C., the subject of this sketch; Emerson lives at Stafford, Kansas; Stella, a teacher, residing at Spokane, Washington; Mrs. Cora Browning, Stafford, Kansas. Henry C. North received his education in the public schools and has followed farming all of his life. He bought his present place in 1903. It consists of 240 acres of well-improved and valuable land in Osage township, where he carried on farming and stock-raising on an extensive scale. Besides this farm Mr. North owns 160 acres near Lowry City, Missouri. He is known throughout Henry County as one of the successful stock breeders. He raises cattle, horses, mules and hogs and is regarded as one of the successful men of the county in this field of endeavor. He also raises grain extensively. Mr. North was united in marriage in 1888 with Miss Alma Gilkey, a daughter of Joseph and Susan (Richmond) Gilkey, both of whom are now deceased. The mother died in 1883 and her remains are interred in the Mount Zion Cemetery and the father died at Eugene, Oregon, June 1, 1918. They were the parents of the following children: Henry, who resides at Deepwater, Missouri; Winn lives in St. Clair county, Missouri; Mrs. Hannah Goncer, Garfield, Washington; and Alma, the wife of Henry C. North, the subject of this sketch. After the death of Mrs. North's mother, which occurred in 1883, the father married Anna Dean and the following children were born of that union: Joseph, Eugene, Oregon; Dr. Dena Gilkey, now a surgeon in the United States Army; Lillian and Sadie. To Mr. and Mrs. North have been born three children, as follow: Lula married James Foster, Lowry City, Missouri; Austin, who resides at home with his parents and Audrey married John Shaffner, Deepwater, Missouri. The North family have an extensive acquaintance in southern Henry County, and Mr. North is regarded as one of the progressive and enterprising citizens of this section of the State.
NUCKLES, John Hardin
Urich, Bogard Township, Henry County
born: Apr 23 1866, Bates Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:655
J. H. Nuckles - Every town not only in Missouri but elsewhere depends for its success upon the energy, capability and enterprise of certain men. One of the leading industries not only of Urich but of other towns in Missouri too numerous to mention is the Hurley Lumber Company, and wherever the Hurley Lumber Company is found is a recognized factor in the commercial and industrial development of that locality. Their business at Urich is no exception, unless of the possibility of it being above the standard. J. H. Nuckles, who represents the Hurley Lumber Company here, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Bates County in 1866 and is a son of J. B. Nuckles, an early settler of western Missouri, who is a native of that part of Virginia which is now West Virginia. The father was engaged in farming and stock raising in Bates County until 1887. He then went to Appleton City, Missouri, where for four years he was engaged in the lumber business. He then removed to Brownington and for four years was engaged in a similar enterprise. He then went to Urich, took charge of the Hurley Lumber Company's local affairs, representing them until 1890. A few years after that he retired. He died in 1907. He was a man well known in this locality, prominent in lodge circles, being a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His wife survived him until June 29, 1915, when she too passed to the great beyond. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Minnie Curran; Mrs. Libbie Garrison, deceased; John H., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Minta Blanchard, Dallas, Texas; J. R., Osceola, Missouri; Fannie Fraley, Vogue, Kansas; T. O., Creighton, Missouri; Mrs. Nessie Littlejohn, Meyronne, Canada; and two who died in infancy. J. H. Nuckles was united in marriage in June, 1892, with Miss Anna Scarife, a daughter of Thomas B. and Mary Ann (Kent) Scarife, both natives of England, and now reside at Monticello, Nebraska. To J. H. Nuckles and wife have been born the following children: Kent B., Evelyn, Madge, John Raymond and Shirley N. Mr. Nuckles affiliates fraternally with the time honored Masonic Lodge and also holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his family are progressive members of the community and the kind of citizens that are worth while.