Chapter 26
<-- Previous Chapter Next Chapter -->
Chapter 26 - History of Henry County Missouri 1883



When It Was Founded

    R. F. Taylor, the founder of Windsor first located in 1839, on section 5. He purchased the ground upon which the City of Windsor now stands, in the year 1852, and platted the town three years after in 1855. A Mr. Majors also joined in the plat, adding a portion of his land to that of Mr. Taylor. The lots sold pretty well ranging from $5 to $15 per lot, according to location. Some going even higher. Deer were afterward killed within the limits of the town site. But this did not last long. The ring of Tom Anderson's hammer and anvil, while music to the few citizens, was not to the wild game of the forests and prairie, and they soon gave it a wide berth. The town grew, and soon additions were made. Mr. Taylor added two additions, Majors one, Foster added two, also, and Mercer's Addition will be found within its present limits. Windsor City at this time covers considerable ground and will not need to enlarge itself for several years to come. It is now one mile by one and a quarter miles within its corporate limits. The town was gradually improving until 1860 when it could boast, at the age of five years, of a population of 250 to 300. The war "left its traces there," and the devastation was so great that that was about all the "harness" that was left, so far as the town itself was concerned, and when the fearful conflict was ended Windsor had but little to brag of in the way of business, or, in fact, anything but a hopeful future.

    The town was first called Belmont, then an attempt was made to call it Spring Grove, and Mr. Robert D. Means, having been a reader of English history and taking a fancy to the name Windsor, in reading of Windsor Castle, he urged that name. The majority ruled against him, and the town was called Belmont, but as there was a post office already in the state by that name, they let Mr. Means have his way in naming the post office, Windsor. When confusion arose from a town by the name of Belmont in one part of the state, and a post office in another, the postal authorities suggested a change. Then the Spring Grove champion sprang to his feet, and in a beautiful speech, which called forth the highest praise named the town Spring Grove. It was a splendid effort, but unfortunately for the Spring Grove advocate, orator and statesman, there seems to have been another before him, and Spring Grove No. 2, was not allowed by the department. It was Mr. Robert Means' time now to act, and in a handsome effort, he proved that there was no better name for the town, as well as the post office, than Windsor Castle, but being anxious for harmony, he was willing to compromise on plain "Windsor," leaving off the "Castle" in the name of the town, as it had been in the post office, and as he sat down said, "there isn't much of a castle in looks about these log cabins and frame shanties, anyhow." And this is the history of Belmont, Spring Grove and Windsor, in naming the "Future Great" of Henry County, known in "Meadow" County history as the "Battam."


A Few Years Later

    Even as late as 1867 Windsor exhibited unmistakable signs of having passed through a period of hard times and depression. It had the appearance, in some places, as if it had been struck with a mighty cylone and the debris was anything but a hopeful sight to an enterprising man. However, dazed as they were, they began to slowly recover. The people were not dead, and in 1868 the town began to show life, and a spirit of industry began to assert itself. By the year 1870 it had doubled its population over that of 1865, having about 550 within its corporate limits and boasting of the following array of business houses that year (1870): Five dry goods stores, two drug stores, two hotels, two blacksmith shops, two hardware stores, two family groceries, two millinery stores, two tin shops, two shoe shops, one harness shop, two butcher shops, one feed store, two lumber yards, three wagon makers, two paint shops, one land agency, two lawyers, three physicians, seven preachers, two churches and no saloon.

    The next few years mark a steady progress both in population and business, until the people began to feel their importance in no small degree. They voted solidly to make their fast growing village an incorporated town, and about this time (1873) the Meadow County craze was having full swing.


Incorporation of Windsor

    The town of Windsor presented a petition to the county court through its attorneys, Messrs. McBeth and Price for its incorporation, with memorandum of its metes and bounds and police regulation as the law directs. The petition was granted, as follows:

    The same being heard by the court and being fully understood, and the court being satisfied that two-thirds of the taxable inhabitants of the town of Windsor, within the metes and bounds sought to be incorporated, have signed the petition, and therefore that the prayer of said petitioners is reasonable.

    It is therefore ordered, adjudged and decreed and the court doth declare that the "Town of Windsor," in the county of Henry and state of Missouri, and the territory within the following metes and bounds, to wit:

    Being in sections one (1) and two (2) and twelve (12), in township 43 of range 24, beginning at the quarter section corner between sections 1 and 2 in township 43 of range 24; thence east 20 chains to the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 1; thence north 7 98-100 chains; thence south 76" 5' east 4 77-100 chains; thence north 36" 10' east 1 52-100 chains; thence south 45" east 7 chains; thence south 73" 20' east 3 34-100 chains; thence south 77" 50' east 12 37-100 chains; thence north 47" 5' east 8 70-100 chains; thence south 39" 50' east 7 78-100 chains; thence south 3 50-100 chains; thence south 24' 30' west 6 73-100 chains; thence south 45" west 8 34-100 chains; thence south 23" 40' east 18 47-100 chains to corner of lot 11 (W. Mayer's estate); thence south 54" west 4 82-100 chains; thence south 33" 30' west 9 95-100 chains; thence south 20 chains; thence west 29 48-100 chains; thence north 6 58-100 chains; thence north 44" 30' west 29 60-100 chains; thence north 26" 5' east 13 85-100 chains; thence west 8 61-100 chains; thence north 1 58-100 chains; thence east 3 16-100 chains; thence north 15 55-100 chains; thence west 2 chains; thence north 1 chain; thence east 2 chains; thence north 1 87-100 chains to place of beginning, be and the same is hereby duly incorporated under the name and style of the "Inhabitants of the Town of Windsor."

    And the court doth further appoint and designate C. C. Morse, J. W. Gray, W. J. Colbow, W. J. Livingston and W. B. Pomeroy, inhabitants and householders of said town, as a board of trustees of the "Inhabitants of the Town of Windsor," to continue in office as such trustees until their successors are elected and qualified. - February 5, 1873

    The board. above named met February 8th, and organized by selecting W. J. Colbow as chairman, and appointing Charles A. Clark, clerk, and A. Cliff Clark, marshal.


Election April 1873

    The law required a town election in April following, and therefore the above officers' terms expired when a new board was elected. The election came off and resulted in the choice of the following named gentlemen for the ensuing official year, and who were sworn in April 19, 1873:

    Board of Trustees: W. J. Colbow, chairman; M. L. Stafford; W. J. Livingston; Robert M. Funk; J. W. Gray. The board then appointed the following local assistants: Treasurer: Edwin Bass; Clerk: Terrall Rainwater; Marshal: Allen Stewart; Assessor: James Douglas; Collector: W. T. Glover. On October 16, 1873, Terrall Rainwater resigned as city clerk, and Thomas W. Lovelace appointed, who also served as street commissioner.


Officers April 1874

    Board of Trustees: W. T. Glover, chairman; Samuel Schwab; W. J. Livingston; Robert F. Steele; Robert M. Funk. There was in the town treasury at the opening of the new board, $74.82, and new fiscal year. Clerk: T. J. Lingle; Treasurer: J. W. Gray; Marshal and Street Commissioner: G. F. Shook; Assessor and Collector: William Goforth.


Officers April 1875

    W. J. Colbow, chairman: W. J. Livingston; Samuel Schwab: Frank M. Ham: Robert M. Funk; Treasurer: W. H. Ham; Clerk: W. S. Shivel; Marshal and street commissioner: N. K. Chapman


Officers April 1876

    W. J. Colbow, chairman; W. T. Glover; Robert M. Funk; Frank M. Ham; E. N. Jerome; Clerk: W. S. Shivel; Marshal and street commissioner: R. C. Agee; Treasurer:W. H. Ham


Officers April 1877

    T. J. Colbow, chairman; W. B. Pomeroy; B. F. Smith; J. C. Beedy; M. Douglas; Clerk: W. S. Shivel; Treasurer: W. H. Ham; Attorney: R. F. Steele; Assessor and collector: H. C. Churchill; Marshal and street commissioner: R. C. Agee.

    The tax assessment for town purposes was two mills and the poll $1.00.

    G. L. Neale was licensed to sell wine and beer for six months from June 6th, 1877, on the payment of $100.

    Mr. Steele was removed from the office of prosecuting attorney at the meeting of November 30th, 1877, and N. K. Chapman appointed, and he entered into a contract to take half of the fines collected as his salary as such prosecutor. The salary for 1878 was fixed at $50 payable quarterly.


Officers April 1878

    J. C. Beedy, chairman; H. Harnsberger; Elias Hughes; W. J. Livingston; Robert M. Funk; Clerk: W. S. Shivel; Attorney: N. K. Chapman, for one month and O. L. Smith the remainder of the year; Marshal and street commissioner: W. J. Smith; Assessor and collector: William Mann; Treasurer: Robert Ragan


City of the Fourth Class

    At the meeting of the board of trustees, held August 6, 1878, a petition was presented asking for the organization of Windsor as a city of the "fourth class," and for an election to test the feeling of the people. The council reported action as follows: "Be it enacted by the board of trustees of the inhabitants of the town of Windsor, that the inhabitants of the town of Windsor, be declared, from and after the adoption of this ordinance by a majority of the legal voters of the corporation of Windsor, organized and incorporated under the provision of the statutes of Missouri," passed and approved May 15, 1877, and entitled "An act for the government of cities of the fourth class."


Windsor City Election

    The election came off October 15, 1878, and the following names composed the first mayor and aldermen of the city of Windsor, the entire straight Democratic ticket was elected: James M. Burress for mayor; E. N. Jerome, marshal; aldermen, First Ward, E. Bass, and M. A. Owen; Second Ward, David Black, Frank Ham; Third Ward, M. L. Stafford J. C. Beedy. This ticket was opposed by what was called the Citizens or Prohibition ticket, but the Democracy won in the "prohibition strong hold" by a majority of nearly fifty. O. L. Smith was appointed clerk; R. O. Ragan, treasurer; N. K. Chapman, attorney; O. N. Jerome, street commissioner and marshal; T. O. Williams, collector. The first Tuesday of each month was made the regular time of meeting. At the regular meeting, October 1878, O. L. Smith was made collector, assuming the duties of clerk and collector.

    On the 11th of March, 1879, O. L. Smith, resigned, and T. O. Williams was appointed clerk and collector.


Officers 1879

    Mayor: Edwin Bass; Aldermen: First Ward, R. F. Taylor, one year; First Ward, M. A. Owens, two years, chairman; Second Ward, R. Cahill, two years; Second Ward, F. M. Ham, one year; Third Ward, M. L. Stafford, one year; Third Ward, J. C. Beedy, two years; Marshal: E. N. Jerome; Clerk: W. S. Shivel; Treasurer: R. O. Ragan; Assessor and Collector: T. O. Williams. Mr. Williams served as clerk of that term and the next, Shivel not appearing as such, and at the June term, 1879, June 3rd, John S. Kelley, having been appointed, entered upon his duties of city clerk, June 17, 1879.


Officers 1880

    Mayor: Edwin Bass; Aldermen: First Ward, R. F. Taylor, two years; R. M. Majors, one year; M. A. Owens, removed from the city; Second Ward, W. H. Crum; Third Ward, M. L. Stafford.


Officers 1881

    Mayor: R. F. Taylor; Aldermen: First Ward, R. W. Majors, chairman of the board, J. B. Brame; Second Ward, R. Cahill; Third Ward, B. E. Dawson; Marshal: John W. Hall; Treasurer: R. O. Ragan; Collector: James D. Baker; Clerk: John S. Kelley


Officers 1882

    Mayor: A. L. Clinkinbeard; Aldermen: First Ward, B. F. Smith; Second Ward, W. J. Livingston; Third Ward, F. M. Ham; Marshal: John W. Hall; Treasurer: R. O. Ragan; Collector: James D. Baker; Clerk: John S. Kelley

    At the adjourned meeting of the city council July 6,1882, Mayor Clinkinbeard resigned his office of mayor, R. Cahill removed from the city and I. E. Sobey was elected to fill his unexpired term. Marshal Hall also resigned, and Samuel W. Majors appointed.

    President R. W. Majors, of the city council, served as acting mayor until July 20, 1882, when W. J. Colbow, having been elected took his seat. At the retirement of Mayor Taylor, he was presented with a gold headed cane and a pair of gold spectacles.


    In April, 1874, the treasurer of the town of Windsor, Edwin Bass made a statement that there was in the town treasury $73.81. From that time until 1880, the financial exhibit of the town and city of Windsor, were not found of record. Just how the financial affairs were conducted was really not known, and what became of the funds from year to year, has probably never been fully ascertained or explained. There was a balance in the treasury reported April 1,1879, of $85.54, but the treasurer reported a city indebtedness of nearly $300.

    On March 2, 1880, John S. Kelly, city clerk and clerk from the previous June, made the following official statement of the city's finances:



Received from all sources


Paid city indebtedness


Current expenses




Balance in treasury


To this was added railroad tax


Judgment in favor of city


Total on hand



    The balance in the treasury March 3, 1881, was $248.62, and on March 9, 1882, $487.64. The city is out of debt and has a handsome balance in the treasury, which is being used for street and other improvements of the city. As now managed it will not be long before Windsor will be one of the neatest cities in the state, as it is now one of the most growing and thriving.


The First Baptist Church of Windsor

    Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was one of the first church organizations in the township, dating back to 1853, before the town site of Windsor was known. It was really organized as a church that year, dating from October 29, 1853, but for several years previous meetings had been held until they found themselves numerous enough to have stated preaching. The original members were W. A. Gray, B. F. Goodin, David Liorne, W. C. P. Caldwell, Weeden Major, Nancy Major, William Major, Ann Major, John L. Major, Eliza A. Major, James Major, Martha Major, Charles Major, W. H. Davis, Wiley Parker. The church was removed to Windsor in 1867, and called the First Baptist Church of Windsor, having been first located about a half mile southwest of Windsor, on section 11.

    Previous to the late war, from 1854 to 1856, Rev. W. A. Gray had charge, he being followed by Rev. A. D. Landum for two years, and Rev. Benjamin F. Goodin from 1858 to 1860. The Rev. W. P. C. CaIdwell and Rev. E. W. Kilbuck each served a short term, when the war caused a temporary suspension. It did not fairly regain itself until its removal to Windsor in 1867, as above stated.

    The Rev. B. F. Lawler, however, took charge in 1865, and for ten and a half years he gave earnest and faithful work to build up his church and to spread its influence for good throughout the city and county. Under his administration the church progressed, and in 1870 the organization erected a handsome and substantial frame church, which cost complete some $3,000. In 1876 the Rev. D. N How was called and remained pastor for a year and a half, or to January, 1878, when the present able divine, the Rev. R. H. Harris, was called. The church was dedicated in 1870.

    There is a flourishing Sunday School attached to the church, which has an attendance of eighty scholars and is under the superintendency of W. J. Colbow. This, with a membership of 150, shows that it is prosperous, with every reason to believe that it will continue so.

    The Tebo Baptist Association was organized at this church.


The M. E. Church

    of Windsor was organized in the year 1869 with the following original members, viz: Ebenezer Culver and wife, John Cole and wife, Elisha Culver and wife, Stephen F. Robinson and wife, William Huston and wife, Jacob Haman and wife, Joseph L. Dunn and wife, Charles Elliott and Elizabeth Elliott.

    The Rev. William Powell was called to the pastorate, and he was followed in the order named by the Revs. E. H. Smith, who was unfortunately killed by lightning while on the circuit in 1871, James A. Little, S. Ing, John H. Lutz, R. H. Hanson, John H. Gillespie, A. P. Sallaway and the present popular and able pastor, the Rev. William DeMotte.

    The present place of worship was erected in the fall of 1870, and was neatly furnished at a cost of $1,200. It is a frame building. Its membership is forty-six. One of the most flourishing Sunday Schools in Windsor is a part of the work of this church, under the charge of N. C. Keyes, superintendent. With a pleasant parsonage of six rooms, and the church out of debt, it has a promising and useful future.


Windsor Congregational Church

    was first organized August 8, 1868, and from that date seems to have been successful in building up a strong and influential congregation, and a pillar in the Christian world. The original members of the organization were H. P. Sloan, Samuel Swisher, Isaac Pettijohn, Miles Caldwell, I. N. Sanborn, W. B. Pomeroy, John G. Sloan, Delia Sloan, Abby Pettijohn, Flora A. Sanborn, Mary L. Sanborn, Emma G. Pomeroy, Mrs. M Caldwell, Mrs. S. T. Tate, and Mrs. M. A. Swisher.

    The church has grown until now it has one hundred members, and its future may be told from the growth of the city.

    The year following its organization, the church erected a handsome edifice and finished and furnished the same in a neat and substantial manner. The total cost was $1,600.

    Its first pastor was the Rev. George R. Hewling, who, accepting another call, remained but a few months, being succeeded by the Rev. John M. Bowers, who remained in charge for two years. At the close of his pastorate, the Rev. John G. Bailey was asked to accept the pastorate, which he did in 1872, and still continues earnestly and faithfully in the discharge of his important duties.

    It has grown from the small number of fifteen to one hundred members, and not only this, but its Sunday School is large and flourishing, having in the school a roll of one hundred pupils. The school was first placed under the superintendency of John H. Knapp and has been regularly kept since it started. The present superintendent in charge is Mr. A. C. Gould, and he is faithfully and steadily performing his work of love and usefulness.

    At this time the church and school are in a flourishing condition. It has grown under the Rev. Mr. Barley's charge, and is still so prospering that the coming summer or fall (1883) it is in contemplation to erect a more commodious edifice to meet the demand for more room, the present church being too small to comfortably seat the regular congregation. There is little doubt, but Windsor will ere a year passes have a beautiful new church edifice of which it may be proud.


M. E. Church, South

    It was some years before the organization that preaching was first held among its members. For a number of years the circuit rider or preacher came among them as his time and duties called him, and the original members of the church, which became organized in 1853, had service or preaching held at their cabins. The Rev. W. W. Jones and Rev. W. Pitt were both preaching from time to time as far back as 1840 to 1845, and continued to do so up to nearly the time of the organization of the church in the year 1853.

    The school house, erected some half a mile west of the present town site of the city of Windsor, was used as a church for three years after its organization. The church, as before stated, organized in 1853 under the name of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the original members were, Dr. W. T. Thornton and wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, Mr. and Mrs. Horning, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Means, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Williamson, Mr. and Mrs. John Bell, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Duncan, Mr. and Mrs. James Baker, Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Beimers and Miss Baker.

    With this early membership the church has grown and strengthened with increasing years, until at the present time it numbers something over a hundred members, and its influence for good has become widespread and with increasing lustre from year to year. Its first pastor at the organization at the old school house was the Rev. J. M. Kelley. He officiated there only one year, when he was succeeded by Joseph Wood, and the latter by the Rev. Bond. Then came the dark days of civil strife, the teachings of Christ were thrown aside and fanaticism and the gospel of hate held undisputed sway and ruled the hour. It was not until the white-winged angel of peace had once more settled over our broad land, did the church hope for success, or men's hearts open to the teachings of Him who died that a world might be saved. So for many years church progress became slow, and the evils which were engendered were hard to eradicate from men's minds.

    In the year 1875 the Rev. J. M. Kelley, who twenty-two years before had been their first pastor, was called to the charge and under his ministration the church once more started into life, grew and prospered. For nine years did this noble follower of Christ perform his duty, having no desire but to perform his whole duty and pray that his labors might be crowned with success. That prayer has been granted and he has retired from the charge with the esteem and love of grateful hearts.

    The church commences the new year, 1883, with 100 members, and its future unclouded. The present pastor is the Rev. Eugene Springer, who brings to his work a strong faith and a willingness to labor. The Sabbath School which is connected with the church, numbers fifty scholars, and is under the charge of James Baker, as superintendent. The church building, which is 30x70 feet in size, is the oldest in the city, having been erected and dedicated in the year 1856. Its cost was about $3,000. With the parsonage the property is fully worth $4,000 at this time.


Christian Church

    The members of this denomination of the Protestant Church found at the close of the war of 1861-65, that they numbered enough to form a church organization, and they took steps to carry it out. The result was the "Christian Church," of Windsor, which has been and is now one of the most prosperous churches in Windsor, and one of the most influential for good.

    Its original members cannot be all given, but the following were a portion of those who joined in its organization: William Steele, Fannie Steele, Mary Shadburne, William Gilliland and wife, H. T. Douglas, Catherine Douglas, Nancy Douglas, J. M. Douglas, Warren Goodin and wife, and Daniel Douglas and wife.

    The church has grown until now it has 110 members. The congregation in 1874, erected a neat frame chapel, furnishing the same neatly yet substantially, at a cost of $1,000.

    The pastors who have officiated as such were first, Rev. James Randall, then the Rev. James Sappington, Rev. Henry Speed, Rev. Charles Patterson, Rev. N. M. Ragland, and the present and past year, the Rev. S. K. Hallam.

    It has the largest Sabbath School attendance in the city, having 116 pupils on its roll of membership. This is under the very successful superintendency of Dr. B. E. Dawson. At this time there is nothing to dim the brightness of its future.


Mount Zion Church

    is of the Cumberland Presbyterian denomination, and was organized April 15, 1855, at the residence of Robert D. Means. Those who joined in the organization were, R. A. Brame, R. D. Means, William H. Ham, Anna Brame, Susan E. Means, Susan Ham, W. P. Witten and wife, Mrs. Sarah D. Means, mother of R. D. Means, and Mary E. Brame, daughter of R. A. Brame.

    The Rev. Fines Washington organized the church, and the Rev. James Martin was secretary and first pastor of the church. The church organization has been kept up with varying success, but still holding fast to its organization. The next minister was the Rev. Mr. Hogan, who seemed to have been the last regular pastor of the church. The church at this time has no stated preacher of its own. Neither is it yet provided with a church building, but the members, who now number forty, have hopes, ere long, of not only being able to erect a comfortable church, but to again secure a regular pastor.

    They have no Sunday School. The present elders of the church are R. A. Brame, R. D. Means, and William H. Ham.

Laurel Oak Cemetery

    This is a handsome piece of land containing some six acres, regularly laid out in lots, sixteen feet square, with walks of three feet in width, and no less than three driveways through the ground. In this beautiful spot, gently undulating is Windsor's "City of the Dead." Here all meet on a common level, and all will rise when Gabriel's trump shall sound. Bathed in the soft moonlight it is indeed an enchanting ground, standing in the circle which has been laid out in its center, and a beautiful view can be had. The monuments and headstones take a fantastic shape and imagination seems enthralled. Here they rest, where the grapes grow, and the flowers sing a soft, low requiem, as they are gently wafted by the passing breeze over their lowly head. Yes, Laurel Oak Cemetery is a beautiful spot, and the citizens of Windsor City have taken pride in its adornment.

    The purchase of the ground was made and a company incorporated April 29, 1872. It was laid out and surveyed March 1, 1871, by J. H. Knapp. The incorporators were W. J. Colbow, T. W. McKinley, B. F. Williamson, J. R. Chappel and Edwin Bass; the latter sleeping his last sleep within its sacred enclosure.


American Legion of Honor

    This lodge was organized February 23, 1881, and the members initiated in the mysteries of the order by Deputy Supreme Commander J. M. Burress, at their place of meeting, Good Templars' Hall.

    The charter members were R. M. Funk, George W. Goodlet, Isaac E. Sobey, I. W. Mitchell, R. O. Ragan, J. M. Burress, E. B. Phillips, Wyatt Simpson, John A. Gedney, S. W. Mitchell, W. H. Walker, F. M. Ham, John A. Calfee, E. D. Stearns, D. L. Daniels, M. V. Beedy, W. M. Nelson, John Q. Barnes, W. C. Barnaman. B. W. Huey, J. E. Baugh, George L. Neale, George F. Pickerill, and W. H. Ellis.

    The following officers were then elected and duly installed: R. M. Funk, C.; George W. Goodlet, V. C.; S. W. Mitchell, O.; J. M. Burress, P. C.; Isaac E. Sobey, Secretary; I. W. Mitchell, Collector; R. O. Ragan Treasurer; E. B. Phillips, C.; W. H. Walker, G.; Wyatt Simpson, W.; F. M. Ham, S.

    Trustees: John A. Calfee, John A. Gedney and D. L. Daniel.

    The lodge is in good condition, has a neat and handsome furnished hall, and is destined to grow and become influential for good, as the population of the city increases.

    Present officers, 1883: Isaac E. Sobey, C.; J. H. Hines, V. C.; B. W. Huey, O.; R. N. Owsley, Sec; W. H. Walker, Col.; R. O. Ragan Treas.; E. B. Phillips, C.; W. M. Nelson, G.; F. M. Ham, W.; W. C Barnaman, S.; Trustees: Calfee, Goodlet and Mitchell. The membership numbers twenty-six.


A. O. U. W.

    Amazon Lodge, No. 111, was established on February 27th, 1879, by Brother William R. Shern, D. W. M. W., and with the following charter members: J. B. Brame, P. M. W.; John A. Calfee, M. W.; R. L. Shadburne, G. F.; J. L. Shelton, O.; George L. Neale, Recorder; H. H. Harnsberger, Fin.; George J. Shelton, Receiver; J. D. Melvin, G.; S. B. Baugh, I. W.; J. W. Taylor, O. W.

    The order is in a flourishing condition, and numbers January 1st, 1883, thirty-five members.

    Present officers: W. G. Crum, M. W.; J. S. Kelly, F.; A. L. Downing, O.; George, L. Neale, Recorder; A. L. Clinkenbeard, Fin.; J. H. Hines, Receiver; A. E. Bridges, G.; F. M. Ham, I. W.; J. W. McIntire, O. W.; George J. Shelton, P. M. W.


I. O. O. F.

    The lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows was instituted at Windsor May 20th, 1868, by the R. W. G. L. of Missouri, with the following officers and members, viz: S. J. Colton, N. G.; E. N. Jerome, V. G.; Henry Lip, Treas.; J. M. Burress, Sec.; Joel Beeler, I. G.; E. Lewis, W. The present membership of the lodge numbers twenty-three, and the present officers, January 1st, 1883, are: B. W. Huey, N. G.: W. E. Jerome, V. G.; Jackson Sympson, Treas.; J. P. Stewart, Sec., and E. N. Jerome, W.


Good Templar Lodge

    This lodge was organized in November, 1865, by William Cotton. The original members were Robert D. Means, John Landman, Silas Turner, Joseph Turner, James Turner, William Steele, William H. Ham, L. S. Emett and his two daughters, Holly and Ettie, and James Goodwin. The order has built a fine hall, known as "Good Templar Hall," and the lodge has flourished since its inception. They have done much good both by precept and example, and now number a few over 100 members. The future of the order is very bright and promising.


A. F. & A. M.

    Windsor Lodge No. 29, received its charter June 2, 1866, with the names of the following gentlemen embodied thereon as charter members: James A. Scribner, Joseph Fisher, J. A. Hughes, A. M. Mclntire, Jerry Yancy, Joel Yancy, William Steele, G. Q. Foster, James D. Baker, R. W. Major, H. T. Douglas, James C. Caldwell and Perry Wetzell. Officers: James A. Scribner, W. M.; Joseph Fisher, S. W.; J. A. Hughes, J. W.

    The order has, since its first organization, been in a flourishing condition, and at this time is fully up to, in membership and influence, the demand upon it. The future is certainly one of brightness, and it has now become powerful for good in the community, which position may it long continue.

    The present officers are: J. W. Brown, W. M.; R. C. Ragan, S. W.; I. E. Sobey, J. W.; R. F. Taylor, Secretary; R. W. Major, Treasurer; N. T. Gray, S. D.; W. Humphry, J. D.; H. T. Douglas, Tyler. These are the officers installed for the year 1883.


Windsor Postmasters

    The first who acted as postmaster of Windsor was Jefferson Means. He held the office some three months, from August, 1852, until November, 18, 1852, when Richard F. Taylor, who had been appointed, having received his commission, took charge of the office and held the same until the year 1862.

    That year Mr. King became postmaster, or rather Mrs. Egbert King, and she took the postoffice over in Pettis County, some two miles from Belmont, as the town was called, and kept it there until near the close of the war, in 1865.

    January 10, 1865, Mr. L. S. Emett received his commission, and he lost no time in taking possession and removing the office back to Belmont. Mr. Emett received a salary of $170 from January, 1866. Mr. Emett died in 1872, and his son, Lewis W. Emett, then acting as deputy, continued, his mother having been recommended to succeed her husband. Mrs. Mary Emett's commission was dated September 7, 1874, and the office salary from 1872 had been $540 per year, which tells the growth of the town in a marked degree.

    In April, 1875, Mr. Walter T. Glover, and an old and popular citizen, received his commission as postmaster of Windsor, and is still holding the position, having been in office nearly eight years. He has proven an able, prompt and accommodating gentleman.


Old Settler's Reunion and Picnic

    The largest gathering ever seen at Windsor was on the 16th day of September, 1882, when some 3,000 people gathered together for picnic recreation and a reunion of the old settlers of the county, and some joining them over the line from Benton, Pettis and Johnson Counties.

    At half past nine the Windsor Cornet Band headed the procession, followed by the order of the Legion of Honor, then the old settlers, order of Good Templars, with the people en masse, stretching out nearly a mile behind. After marching through the principal streets they proceeded to Beaman's Grove, a beautifully shaded lawn, when they came to order under the direction of Col. G. W. Goodlette, the marshal of the day, who, with a few appropriate remarks, gave way to the introductory speech of the mayor of Windsor, which was received with applause. It was neat and appropriate to the occasion, and introduced the orator of the day, the Hon. John I. Martin, deputy grand commander of the A. L. of H., of St. Louis, whose eloquent speech was preceded by an earnest prayer from the lips of the Rev. E. B. Phillips.

    The speech of Mr. Martin was a literary gem, sparkling and eloquent, with a fine display of oratorical power, combined with a voice of great volume and of singular sweetness. He was listened to with the deepest interest, and his peroration was a splendid effort, which went to the hearts of his hearers.

    The next was a piece appropriate to the occasion, well delivered by Mr. Mack Goodlett, and a speech by the eloquent Colonel P. H. Shelton, closed the forenoon proceedings, and dinner was announced, and it was most heartily enjoyed. Like the feast of old, it not only fed the multitude, but there were basket after basket full still left, and no one was turned away hungry.

    Colonel William H. McLane, of Clinton, and Major B. F. Williamson made speeches after dinner full of the reminiscences of olden times, full of pathos and humor, which came right home to the hearts of the "old settlers."

    Mrs. S. A. Brown read in a clear, magnetic voice the reminiscence of "Will Carlton," and some excellent music was rendered by Miss Tennie Williamson, J. R. Bush and J. D. Lindsay. Dr. J. W. Gray then stepped forward and made a short and exceedingly eloquent speech, which was received with with a universal expression of favor. This closed the exercises of the day, and the multitude dispersed, feeling thoroughly satisfied, knowing that they would cherish this reunion in their hearts, and which would prove to them a pleasant memory for many long years.



    The Lingle Bros. commenced the publication of the Windsor Courier in the year 1870 and continued about four years. On the closing out of the Courier Messrs. Hitchcock & Keyes started the Helmet in 1874 and continued not quite two years. Upon the ruins of the latter paper Mr. W. H. Walker started in January, 1876, the present Windsor Review, which commenced its eighth volume this January 1883, in a very prosperous manner. It is ably supported by the Windsorites, is one of the brightest rural papers in the state and ever ready to sound a bugle note in praise of the city of its adoption. May its future prove as prosperous as its past has been successful.


Windsor Public Schools

    While Windsor Township can boast of having one of the two first schools taught in the county, Windsor City can also come to the front with the fact that it has also one of the two finest brick school buildings in the county, the Clinton Graded School building only exceeding it in cost and size.

    Windsor City was only a village of two years of age when Mr. Robert D. Means and a few other enterprising citizens put their shoulders to the wheel and put up a large fine log school house, the first named furnishing most of the money part.

    The school was a private, or subscription school, and when completed Miss Ann Allen took possession and taught the first school and several terms after. Mr. George N. Pierce became the second teacher. The school house was used as a church for several years.

    The history of the Windsor school from 1860 to 1870 was like all the others in the county. Demoralization, poverty, destruction of property, having caused a suspension, and required years for recuperation. In fact the entire state succumbed, and even the state school fund was withheld for several years after the war, and not until the session of the general assembly, after the election of B. Gratz Brown took action, was the school fund replaced which had been wrongfully perverted in previous years. A state certificate of indebtedness of $900,000 was voted to reimburse the state school fund. The Windsor school began about the above date to exhibit new life. The people submitted to a local tax without grumbling, but as the town grew rapidly it was found that a large building was a necessity, and a still larger one would be in demand in the near future. In the spring of 1877 the people of the school district, composing the town of Windsor, voted to raise $2,500 toward building a school building to meet the wants of the community. In 1878 they voted $1,000, and in 1879 $500 more was raised, making $4,000. The school board, however, had appointed a building committee, and they had purchased material and had the building under way, so that it was partly occupied in the winter of 1878-79. The size of the new school building was 34x60 feet, with a vestibule of 18x34 feet, used for school purposes, all two stories high and divided into two rooms above and below. The building was a good substantial brick, and costing when completed and furnished $4,800.

    The school board was composed of the following named gentlemen: W. J. Livingston, president; R. R. Majors and J. C. Beedy. Mr. N. C. Keyes was clerk.

    In 1882, the demand for more room became imperative, and a second building nearly equal to the first in size, was added at a cost of $3,400. The school board, through their building committee, took pride in thorough work at a reasonable cost, and they succeeded in erecting for less than $10,000 a school building, that in solid work, in the number of pupils it will seat, and in its handsome and substantial finish, cannot at this time be duplicated for much under $15,000.

    The district contains 450 children of school age, an enrollment of 380, and a regular attendance of something over 300 scholars. The present board of trustees are, J. C. Beedy, N. L. Stafford, George J. Shelton, Robert O. Ragan and Samuel Schwab. Mr. J. P. Allen is secretary.

    The present corps of teachers are, Professor W. H. Smith, county superintendent of schools, and an able educator, principal, assisted by Miss Kate Salmon, Miss Sally Gray, Mrs. S. A. Brown, Miss Minnie Keisor and Miss Ellen Douglas. The school opens in January 1883, with a full average attendance, and every evidence of present and future prosperity.


Windsor's Business Interests

Bass & Kelly, dry goods

Parker & Son, dry goods and clothing

Schwab, boots and shoes, and groceries

H. C. Churchill, drugs and medicines

Harnsberger & Ragan, dry goods

Hines & Co., dry goods

Livingston & Sons, dry goods

Shelton & Owsley, groceries and produce

A. L. Clinkenbeard, jeweler

Colbow & Lewis, hardware

Stafford & Livingston, grain dealers

Gray & Son, groceries

A. F. Wyard, harness and saddlery

James Douglas, grain dealer

N. E. Carpenter & Co., saddlery and harness

W. J. Douglas, groceries

Cannon & Keys, groceries

I. W. Mitchell, groceries.

Foster & Wall, groceries

Phillip Stair, hardware and stoves

Wall Bros., furniture

Schwab, Majors & Owens, grain dealers

Melvin & Berry, furniture

Smith & Funk, drugs and medicines

E. H. Mitchell, news, books and stationery

H. B. McCleverty, real estate dealer

Mrs. Moser, millinery and dressmaking

Miss Nannie C. Parks, millinery

Miss Jennie Hooker, millinery

W. H. Ham, real estate and notary

John Burnell, millinery goods

Bailey, Sanborn & Morse, fruit evaporator and fruit dealers

Delaney & Co., lumber merchants, Isaac E. Sobey, manager

J. C. Beedy, lumber merchant

W. J. Goforth, architect and builder

J. A. Calfee, grain and fruit

E. B. Phillips, carpenter and builder

Arthur M. Morgan, notion store

Harris Owens, marble yard

Neale & Huey, photograph gallery

Withers & Wesner, confectioners

S. N. Floyd, confectionery

O. Smith, restaurant

Baugh & Campbell, billiard hall

Shelton, Strauss & Bass, stock dealers

Mrs. McGee, boarding house

Allen & Lindsay, attorneys and insurance agents

N. K. Chapman, attorney

William Tryon, building mover

Waller & Black, attorneys

George W. Tryon, insurance agent

Dr. G. W. Givens

Dr. Benjamin E. Dawson

Dr. Benjamin F. Smith

Drs. T. G. & R. L. Shadburne

Dr. John B. Brame, dentist

Dr. Moser, dentist

Bass House, James H. Bass, proprietor

Windsor Hotel, James Swisher, proprietor

William Moreland, meat market

Sylvester Cotton, meat market

Berton & Collins, livery and sale stable

Mr. Richardson, livery stable

Whittaker & Smith, barbers

C. S. Fogg, shoe shop

William Bull, shoe shop

Charles Robinson, novelty shop

G. W. Crawford, painter and glazier

Addison Cahill, painter

James Gillum, carpenter

John Chambers, carpenter

Isaac H. Glassburn, carpenter

Jackson Sympson & Son, fine iron work and blacksmithing

Frank M. Ham, blacksmithing

William Barnaman, wagon maker


    An elevator company with a capital of $50,000 has been incorporated, and will build the coming spring an elevator of 150,000 bushels Capacity; also warehouse 50x100 feet, and all necessary machinery, shelling attachment, etc.


Windsor Savings Bank

    This, the only banking institution in the city, received its charter January 17th, 1877, and in the following February opened its doors for business. Its first directory and list of officers who started it on the road of financial success, were:

    Directors: J. C. Beedy, V. K. Hines, R. W. Major, C. C. Morse, Emanuel Wolf, Henry C. Churchill, R. M. Funk, J. H. Hines, W. J. Livingstone, James M. Wall, George J. Shelton, E. J. Grippen and J. R. Chappell.

    Officers: J. C. Beedy, prest.; Emanuel Wolf, Sec.; R. W. Major, Cashier.

    The stock of the bank is mostly owned by parties in and near town. Every share of the $50,000 capital is taken. Recently various improvements have been made in the building owned by the corporation, and also in the interior arrangements of the same. A fine fire and burglar proof vault has been built for the better protection of the money and valuable papers. This vault is of hard brick, built in with cement, and is about 6x8 feet on the inside. It is provided with double doors made by the celebrated Mosler Safe and Lock Company, Cincinnati. In the vault is one of Hall's burglar and fire proof safes, with two combination locks. We believe that this bank is absolutely burglar proof, as the vault and safe combined will defy all the assaults that may be made upon them. Neither is it possible to force the cashier to open the safe, from the simple fact that it is impossible for him to do so alone. The combination that opens the doors, of which there are four, are each one in possession of different parties, thus rendering it impossible for any one to open the entire set alone. An addition to the building is also being built. This is to be used for the directors' room, and will be quite a commodious apartment, being sixteen feet long. The bank has been a success from the start and has the full confidence of the community. Its last financial statement, December 31st, 1882, is given below:



Loans undoubtedly good on personal or collateral security


Loans and discounts undoubtedly good on real estate security


Overdrafts by solvent customers


United States bonds on hand


Other bonds and stocks at their present cash market price


Due from other banks, good on sight draft


Real estate at present cash market value


Furniture and fixtures


Checks and other cash items


Bills of National Banks and legal tender United States notes


Gold coin


Silver coin


Exchange maturing and matured






Capital stock paid in


Surplus funds on hand


Undivided declared dividends


Deposits subject to draft-at sight


Deposits subject to draft at given dates


Due other bands and bankers


Expenses now due





The Windsor Steam Flouring Mills

    do a large business, grinding some 60,000 bushels of wheat annually, having four run of burrs, and also grind largely of corn, the brand of meal standing A1. The mills were erected in 1872 and are now owned by Erastus Weaver.


The Windsor Custom Mills

    are owned by W. G. and E. C. Crum. They have two run of burrs, and their mills are furnished with all late improvements. They do mostly a custom business, but still do a large exchange business in flour and meal for grain.



    W. H. Gray has a fine brickyard, the clay around Windsor being of a fine quality and making a bright red brick. He has a capacity to make anywhere from 100,000 to 1,000,000 brick, according to the demand.

    W. M. Smith is similarly situated and has all the paraphernalia of a first-class brickyard. These gentlemen also make the pressed brick.


Broom Factories

    The Star Broom Factory was started early in the fall of 1882 by Mr. L. A. Watson. The straw or brush is raised in the county, and Mr. Watson is turning out some fifty dozen brooms per week, ranging in price from $2 to $3.25 per dozen, and finds his chief market in St. Louis and Kansas City, but has customers in nearly all the towns around.

    The Pickerell & Douglas Broom Factory also opened in the fall of 1882, and are at this date, January 1883, turning out from forty to fifty dozen per week, with orders increasing on them. They find about the same market as the first named, and like them will increase their facilities to meet the demands of trade.

    This closes the account of the present manufacturing interests of Windsor, but there are flattering prospects of an important increase.



    There are sixty-three business houses in Windsor: six manufactories, one bank, two hotels, five lawyers, two insurance agents, five physicians, two dentists, one Good Templar hall, and not a single saloon, five churches, one graded school building, one newspaper, two justices of the peace, Squire R. F. Taylor and Squire William Goodin. The township of Windsor has eight district or public schools, the largest number of any township in the county.


General Notes From The Windsor Review, January 1883


·      The Windsor Savings Bank was founded in the winter of 1877.

·      In its seven years existence the Review has missed one issue, caused by death in the family.

·      Windsor has trebled her population and more than quadrupled her valuation in seven years.

·      History repeats itself. Seven years ago W. J. Colbow was mayor of Windsor, a position he again holds.

·      For the first nine months the Review was run on an old-fashioned Novelty press, printing one page at a time.

·      Mr. J. W. Agee and Miss Ellen Douglass then kept the village school-a task now keeping busy six good teachers.

·      Seven years ago Windsor thought herself well supplied, musically, with two pianos and a few organs. Now there are twenty-four pianos in town and an organ in nearly every house.

·      The old building on Main Street, east of W. J. Livingston's residence property, now used as a dwelling, is the first store house put up in Windsor. It was put up by Mr. R. F. Taylor, still a resident of the town, in 1853, and used as a store house and postoffice.

·      Something remarkable is that in the seven years there has been but one fire of any consequence in the city limits. This was the dwelling of G. L. Neale which was destroyed in the fall of 1880. A few slight blazes have at times startled our people somewhat but not as much as they should be.

·      The Windsor Cornet Band, now broken up, was organized in September, 1876, and composed of the following members: W. J. Colbow, J. Regal, S. Schwab, N. C. Keyes, J. K. Chambers, D. McGee, E. N. Jerome, William Moreland, William Major, F. C. Livingston, J. S. Duncan, E. R. Glover, W. J. Ham, W. H. Walker.



    The following is a statement of the business done at this station, Windsor, for five months, from August 1, to December 31, 1882:


Car Loads Forwarded








Flax Seed












Broom Corn


Scrap Iron










Ticket and Freight Receipts


Amount Ticket Sales


Amount Freight Receipts





J. A. FULTZ, Agent.


Bird's Eye View

    Windsor has a beautiful location about one half mile from the railroad depot, on rising ground, which overlooks a vast expanse of prairie in all directions, richly dotted with magnificent farms, neat farm houses and well filled barns. It is something worthy of notice, for it tells plainly of an energetic, enterprising and moral people. Windsor is settled with such, and with her handsome High School building, some splendid residences that would grace a city counted by its tens of thousands inhabitants, and many fine ones, her neat churches, and fine brick business blocks, Windsor can be proud of all. Thirty years ago where all this stands, a city of enterprise, deer roamed and the turkey could be found. Wolves howled out their melodious song, and all these were hunted and killed where today civilization has planted itself, and material progress marks an era of its own. What its future may be, none can tell, but that it will be one of progress, lighted by the steps of a moral and Christian people, none need doubt, and to that which we believe, will be its course, it is left to its bright future.